Author Topic: pleased with this one  (Read 41128 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: pleased with this one
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2005, 05:03 PM »
I remember a study that stated that swallowing can give you cancer .
Using Toilet paper can give you Cancer !!!
The Cancer debate is huge, MSG, well just add it to our list.
 Oh & over cooked food is carcinogenic.

Enjoy life.... ;D

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2005, 06:34 PM »
After all that I am seriously considering suicide!!
Iv'e given up swallowing, now have newspaper in the bog (get rid of that giant Andrex Darth!!) and iv'e just burned the salad!! No hope for me then!

Goodbye cruel world!!!!

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2005, 06:47 PM »
Have you got links to those studies?

Sorry, no links....I do believe what is written in US papers though...thats what I grew up reading.  I did research myself for graduate school and although it wasnt on MSG (it was alzheimer's disease), I do know how studies work and if it is published, it has to be backed up.  So i dont question the studies.  Overcooked food does not cause cancer but those items grilled  do.  I think this is due to is a difference in american and british culture.  I dont mean to knock british culture but things are not so hygenic here and people are not so careful with raw meat, eggs, etc.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2005, 07:12 PM »
Oh & over cooked food is carcinogenic.

? ?Enjoy life.... ;D
Damn Ive just cooked a curry with caramelised onions!

;D at least curries and spices are proven to be good for you!

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2005, 07:13 PM »
I dont mean to knock british culture but things are not so hygenic here and people are not so careful with raw meat, eggs, etc.
3 chefs from my local BIR got fired last night for serving raw chicken  ;D

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2005, 09:23 PM »
Have you got links to those studies?

I dont mean to knock british culture but things are not so hygenic here and people are not so careful with raw meat, eggs, etc.

I don't mean to be argumentative or anything but I was born and raised originally in Canada, and large chunks of my family live there and in various parts of the US - and we think the opposite!

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2005, 09:42 PM »
Sorry when i said overcooked i meant BBQ`d grilled etc.. when the food blackens sorry to mislead you.
So no frying the toilet paper you hear me Ray g. he he. ;D

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2005, 01:21 AM »
I have to comment about MSG.  In the US, studies have found it to cause cancer in lab studies.  I mean - big studies - it is a confirmed fact!!!  The big push there is to privide food without it. I am very alarmed to see in the UK people dont care about that or just dont know about it.  I always read all the packages and make sure that nothing i buy has MSG in it!!  I ate at one chinese place here and after eating, had terrible symptoms - dizziness, giddiness and just felt terrible - symptoms from too much MSG!! I will not have any type of chinese food in the Uk anymore because none of them say their food is MSG free - in the US, all the restaurants advertise that they are 100% MSG free.

This 'msg' is found in Walkers Crisps and Pringles and infact most food snacks, its also under the name of Flavour Enhancer or E621, have a look at the back of a packet of crisps next time you have some.

On that note though, i've too had a head ache after eating at ?5 eat all you can type of place, and it is due to the amount of msg they use, but this can be overcome by drinking lots of fluids (not alchohol).  So if any of you are thinking of going to a chinese buffet then try to look for places that advertise 'msg free' or just drink loads(water).

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2005, 05:57 AM »
A friend of mine has an allergy to M.S.G. so ask's the local Chinese Takeaway to leave the M.S.G. out of the order. However, they say the taste is lacking from dishes with it in so I guess it's job as a "flavour enhancer" shows it does do a job. Can't comment on how bad it is for us though!

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2005, 06:59 AM »
Check this out for alternative names MSG can go under on labels: http://www.msgmyth.com/hidename.htm

Bit hard to avoid all those  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes