Author Topic: pleased with this one  (Read 40993 times)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: pleased with this one
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2005, 09:32 AM »
I think I'll chuck my "all purpose seasoning" away
If it's that bad, I am surprised that it's sold
There was a time when there was an msg scare, but it died down
I assumed that everything had been sorted out
A bit like that Sudan 1 thing

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2005, 11:34 AM »
My feeling is that MSG may be a flavor enhancer but in all those chinese restaurants in the US, the food tastes great!!  And there is no MSG!!  It is kind of like in indian cooking, the people who dont use onions and garlic - their food still tastes great in a different way.  it is hard to explain.....some spices are like substitutes for those 2 items.  Please dont ask me to explain how, I dont know!  I havent made the effort to learn that because onions and garlic are both very good for the health.  At least fo rnow they are until they come up with a study that shows otherwise - like the whole butter/margarine debacle :o

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2005, 11:37 AM »
Have you got links to those studies?

I dont mean to knock british culture but things are not so hygenic here and people are not so careful with raw meat, eggs, etc.

I don't mean to be argumentative or anything but I was born and raised originally in Canada, and large chunks of my family live there and in various parts of the US - and we think the opposite!

I guess it varies from person to person!  It is difficult to generalize about a population.  I just made that comment based on what I have seen so far - I have been here only 2 months.  perhaps we american people might be a bit too paranoid about sterilization and the such.  But it doesnt hurt to be careful!!

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2005, 12:48 PM »
No, never hurts to be careful! :)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2005, 01:11 PM »
Virtually all stock contains msg, I think the only ones Ive seen that dont are the bouillion make or some such

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2005, 04:02 PM »
Most of the stocks do contain MSG but stock is not used in indian cooking....the cube stocks always have it but in the US i buy some stock packets that dont have MSG and use it in chinese soups.  I will see if i still have the box or not - I doubt it.  But i dont buy any noodles or anything wiht it - not much junk food at all - make things at home instead.

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2005, 05:08 PM »
From the Observer Food Monthly article:

"So you think you don't eat MSG? Think again...

Some of the names MSG goes under

monopotassium glutamate
glutavene
glutacyl
glutamic acid
autolyzed yeast extract
calcium caseinate
sodium caseinate
E621 (E620-625 are all glutamates)
Ajinomoto, Ac'cent
Gourmet Powder

The following may also contain MSG

natural flavours or seasonings
natural beef or chicken flavouring
hydrolyzed milk or plant protein
textured protein
seasonings
soy sauce
bouillon
broth
spices

Free glutamate content of foods (mg per 100g)
roquefort cheese 1280
parmesan cheese 1200
soy sauce 1090
walnuts 658
fresh tomato juice 260
grape juice 258
peas 200
mushrooms 180
broccoli 176
tomatoes 140
mushrooms 140
oysters 137
corn 130
potatoes 102
chicken 44
mackerel 36
beef 33
eggs 23
human milk 22 "

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2005, 06:02 PM »
Hi Paast, stock is used in British Indian Restaurant cooking (which is what this forum is mostly about)

Not having a go at you, just pointing out the relevance of my post  :)

cheers

Mark

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2005, 07:04 PM »
Hello Paast,
It is interesting to read your postings and personally I would like to share some of the positive feedback you might offer the group?
For example, you seem to have a lot of experience in the U.S. of restaurants and your own home cooking which I find different in certain respect's to what we find in the U.K. Now you are in the U.K. perhaps you can experience the differences yourself.
I have eaten in a few Indian restaurants in the U.S. and don't find the taste is the same as in BIR's in the U.K.. Why is that? It would be interesting to explore the reasons.
It would be good to share your experiences, recipes with constructive input that gives advice from you for traditional Indian Cooking as well as The Restaurant Curry we all are looking for answers to.
I can't seem to find recipe advice from you on the site so it would be great to see a posting or two with your recipes attached.

Regards

Ray

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Yes, I do have some experience with indian restaurants in the US as I have eaten in lots of them!!  I went to another indian restaurant today and did not like the food.  The indian food here is very very different from what I have eaten in the USA and also from the food I eat while in India.  But thats not to say that the food here is bad.  I personally dont like it but many people in this country are used to it and love it!!
I do mean to put some recipes up on this site - this week for sure...maybe some simple things i cook up like some paneer dishes and some dal dishes.  We eat dal every day and only occasionally eat the richer foods which have gravies ("curries").  I have some copies from the best cookbook I have even seen from my favorite restaurant - Bombay Palace.  This restaurant is in many countries and even in London.  I have yet to go to that one.  I have been to about 7 of their locations and the food is exactly the same in each one as the recipes are identical.  The cookbook actually gives all the restaurant recipes!! My dad has the cookbook in the US but I have some of my favorite recipes photocopied from it.   I will copy some of them this week and post them here.  You all might be interested in trying some other types of indian food.
By the way, my name is Payal.

©2024 Curry Recipes