Author Topic: pleased with this one  (Read 41149 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: pleased with this one
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2005, 04:22 PM »
Yeah a Dhansak is a sweet\sour "curry" with lentils I don't know if theres a veggie version but I would assume so, what about a Tarka Dhall:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=19.0

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2005, 09:09 PM »
I appreciate that response but if that could even be remotely true, then a vegetarian should never go there.? Honestly, I am frustrated here that I cant find "real" indian food.?

Hi Payal,

Firstly I must agree you should not trust half of what you read and I am sure Chicken stock will not appear in Vegetarian food as much as you may think.
As for your quest for traditional Indian Cooking there are far more websites and recipes posted on the internet dedicated to the "real indian food" you are striving to find than the BIR curries people here are looking for.
Like those wishing to find the answers to restaurant cookery there are those like yourself looking for something else. Just typing the word's "Curry" or "Curry Recipes" or even "Traditional Curry Cooking" etc into your search engine brings up a wealth of options I am sure will help you out. You mention the Bombay Palace in London and recipes from it. I have a recipe book from the Bombay Brasserie also in London which is a top quality recommended restaurant with dishes more like the traditional cooking you are after.
My personal taste is very varied and I equally enjoy more traditional curry recipes or our high steet take-away's. I like them all but for different reason's. It depends on my fancy at the time! Have you seen the book? ?"Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking"? This seems to be a book rated for it's authentic Indian style and by a well known author and being vegetarian as well may appeal to you.

Ray

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2005, 09:19 PM »
Hi Payal,
Just remembered the other author of a couple of books of authentic Indian Food I have by Mridela Baljekur. I have made a few of her recipes and they are really delicious.

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2005, 08:59 AM »
Hi Payal,
Just remembered the other author of a couple of books of authentic Indian Food I have by Mridela Baljekur. I have made a few of her recipes and they are really delicious.

Yes, I have at least 1 of her books -  was very intrigued when in the states I saw a book of hers called "best Ever Curry recipes" !!  it is quite a good book with a variety of dishes.  I have made 1 or 2 of her chicken recipes and they were pretty good.
I understand this site is after the BIR taste.  I will post a recipe for the makhani sauce from the Bombay Palace cookbook - it may be an "authentic" BIR taste!!  I use this gravy for chicken tikka, vegetables and paneer.  I will post it today under the authentic recipes just so you all can try it.  Strangely enough, it is the only recipe in the whole book which you make a base sauce for and then take some of that base sauce and cook with further with other ingredients - sounds like most of the most recipes I  see on this site.  That seems to be the BIR style.  The main taste comes from adding ginger paste into the tomato sauce rather than frying it in oil.  I gurantee is is worth a try and tastes identical to the restaurant one.  Does not even use more unusual ingredients (no rye, curry leaves).  I will do that a bit later today.
Payal

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2005, 09:03 AM »
Excellent !! 

If you don't mind, could you post your Chicken Tikka recipe also. Thanks.

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2005, 09:08 AM »
yes, I can post it too although I dont really follow a standard recipe for that.  What I find most important is skewering the meat on sticks and cooking them in the oven.  Somehow keeps the boneless pieces more moist.

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2005, 09:30 AM »
Where do I put the recipes?  The authentic section says no restaurant recipes.  Thanks.
When I wrote that the main taste comes from putting raw ginger in the sauce - I meant garlic.  I dont know why I wrote ginger.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2005, 10:00 AM »
Where do I put the recipes? The authentic section says no restaurant recipes.

Just stick them in under authentic if there from an authentic style book, they can be linked to or moved later if need be.

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2005, 10:16 AM »
Ok.  Thanks.  I will write it as the recipe book says and then write my own method too as I dont use fresh tomato - never tried it that way :)  Always used tomato puree.

Payal

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2005, 11:48 AM »
I put up the butter tomato sauce one just now in authentic recipes..will add my chicken tikka masala recipe later today.  feel free to ask tons of questions about my recipe!

©2024 Curry Recipes