Author Topic: Bhaji Help  (Read 5830 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bhaji Help
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 08:35 AM »
Hi Chilli

Which method are you referring to? If you mean the video then which parts exactly did you follow? By leaving the onions to marinate in the spices for 4 hours and by double cooking them your results will be very different (and MUCH MUCH better) than hers would have been.

Also, good work with adding the potatoes. There seem to be a lot of people on here keen to knock the idea without even trying it. I have quizzed 5 indian BIR chefs about their bhajis, and all 5 include potato in them.

Have you done the second fry through yet? A couple of pics would be good if not. I hope they didn't colour too much on the first fry through if you were cooking them at 170 or 180 degrees. I find they brown in about 1 - 2 minutes like that.

Offline michaelpratt

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 10:57 PM »
A thick batter of greek yoghurt and chick pea flour, a tiny bit of baking soda, preferred spice mix, a little diced chilli and a deep fat fryer at about 170c. Secret is plenty onion (cut very thinly off halved spanish onions and batter like glue. Cook till a darkish gold. Holds together perfectly - 4 flattened pool ball shapes. Crisp outside, soft cooked middle. Works for me.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 11:02 PM »
Chilli
I'll post a vid on this soon. Mine is a mix 'n' match affair but they just get better. It's more about how you place them in the fat than anything else and the consistency of the batter too.

Like em sweet? Like em hot? Anything is possible anyway me writing won't help at all. I'm making another batch next week, I'll probably film and post it. Not saying I'm right, but I do have good results.

Hi All

Had a go at Onion Bhaji's this weekend and overall tasted prety good. The only problem i had was actually trying to keep them fixed together without them breaking up on entry to the oil. Some stayed together quite well others broke up. Any ideas out there.

Cheers Chilli ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes