Author Topic: Begum Bahar  (Read 18216 times)

Offline plugsy

• Chef
    • View Profile
Begum Bahar
« on: December 14, 2009, 06:35 PM »
Hi chaps,
Did you know that one of my favourite curries of all time is a (Begum Bahar)from my local BIR,
it is a chicken dish with ground mince lamb in the sauce, it also has aubergines and a medium heat..--- Does anyone have a recipe like this so i can try it for myself at home, if not something like..Many thanks in advance..Plugsy 

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Begum Bahar
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 07:07 PM »
plugsy,

my fav place in the midlands does bahar - its called garlic chilli bahar (chicken or lamb) - to die for. the menu does not give much away, "a very hot dish, extensively prepared with fresh garlic and chillies in a lingering piquant sauce".

my local TA unfortunately don't do it.

i've not seen a recipe for it anywhere. i think it's a sort of cross between madras and jalfrezi.

it's on my list to try and sort (after sylheti).

Offline plugsy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 07:23 PM »
Hi Jerry,
That sounds lush, i don't like mine to hot (madras hot) is what i ask for as my local will cook any dish how you like it ,Begum Bahar is very fragrant,quite saucy ,very dark in colour and very satisfying---JUST THE JOB !!!

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 08:06 PM »
I found a couple of recipes for this but had to look deeper since I couldn't find much on it, so I did some odd searches.

Begum as I understand it could mean a Muslim Lady of high ranking. Bahar could be a bastardisation of the Persian word bahaar meaning "Springing of new life"?

Most involve curd (Yogurt).

A version is here: (Note the "Heat Oil until smoking in a handi")
http://www.bardhaman.com/recipe/ksa_man.htm

Sounds yummy scrummy.

Offline plugsy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 08:36 PM »
cheers Mikka, that one is going to get printed off and tested

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 07:13 AM »
Mikka,

the link is to Kosha Mangsho. i think u must have intended us to get to the fish begum http://www.bardhaman.com/recipe/fish_bb.htm and to swop the fish with lamb.

the version i have does not have potato in - the rest looks good. onion paste as well. i'd add in tom puree and swop the garam masala for mix powder (or even bassar). it has the sliced green chilli rings (which are visible in the restaurant dish). the vinegar looks too much and i'd add slowly on the 1st go. i would use base too.

sounds a real good starting point for a BIR version - many thanks for your effort - appreciated

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 09:23 AM »
Hi chaps,
Did you know that one of my favourite curries of all time is a (Begum Bahar)from my local BIR,
it is a chicken dish with ground mince lamb in the sauce, it also has aubergines and a medium heat..--- Does anyone have a recipe like this so i can try it for myself at home, if not something like..Many thanks in advance..Plugsy

That wouldn't be a 'Lal Akash' would it??

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 01:03 PM »
Ouch Jerry many apologies and well spotted.
Care to share that please? Looks a nice dish really.
Thanks again.  ;D

Mikka,

the link is to Kosha Mangsho. i think u must have intended us to get to the fish begum http://www.bardhaman.com/recipe/fish_bb.htm and to swop the fish with lamb.

the version i have does not have potato in - the rest looks good. onion paste as well. i'd add in tom puree and swop the garam masala for mix powder (or even bassar). it has the sliced green chilli rings (which are visible in the restaurant dish). the vinegar looks too much and i'd add slowly on the 1st go. i would use base too.

sounds a real good starting point for a BIR version - many thanks for your effort - appreciated

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 06:58 PM »
Mikka,

i don't have a recipe (yet). it's in my plan to work on next yr.

Adriandavidb,

do u have any other info on the 'Lal Akash'. i've not come across it.

©2024 Curry Recipes