Author Topic: Are we there yet.  (Read 13920 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Are we there yet.
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 05:46 PM »
I did that with Zaffrons and my base is identical to theirs plus I know the ingredients in the Madras are the same as they use, plus I watched it being made. The first one I made came closest, the ones since seem to be floating further away. I wrote down everything at the time and published the recipe but I guess the method I saw was hard to put in writing.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 09:56 PM »
DD,

it's an interesting thought. for info when i made the kD1 base i always added x2 on the tomatoes ie 2 tins. i'm not convinced (although i've not explored it) and will keep it in mind (ie to revisit KD1 with what i know now). in the KD the tomato does come through stronger down to the absence of other veg.

i'm currently having good success adding chilli sauce (ashoka south indian garlic). i'm just getting a tad double hit from the vinegar (in the sauce) and lemon juice (added at cooking). i'm being very picky though - it's a near as dam it there. i'm hoping the chef at my local TA might just help.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 10:11 PM »
My post came about by following links in a couple of threads and then realizing the links were going back to 2005 ! And the info then was still current info now 

emin-j,

i've found these early posts tantalising too - as u say still current now. where are the people now or more important how are their curries - MarkJ for example he seems to have got very close. Pete seemed to know quite a lot too.

for me the biggest pleasure is the smell in my garage which lasts for about 3 days after cooking. simply brill on a monday morning at 7.00 am.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 10:22 PM »
My post came about by following links in a couple of threads and then realizing the links were going back to 2005 ! And the info then was still current info now 

emin-j,

i've found these early posts tantalising too - as u say still current now. where are the people now or more important how are their curries - MarkJ for example he seems to have got very close. Pete seemed to know quite a lot too.

for me the biggest pleasure is the smell in my garage which lasts for about 3 days after cooking. simply brill on a monday morning at 7.00 am.

Hi Jerry , Yes at times it seemed from those early posts they had the answer to ' the taste ' but 5-6 years on we seem not much closer if any  ??? OH ! and that smell Jerry , lasts for three days , in the living room , bedroom , wardrobe , best shirts  ;D ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 11:07 PM »
if i ever make a good replica, i will know instantly.

DD I couldn't agree more. None of this 'oh I definitely had a hint of the taste in this one', or 'I definitely caught a brief waft of the smell in this one'. Nahhh, when (if) I get it right it will be there, bang in your face, no disputing it.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 05:24 AM »
I can honestly say that I can produce the taste and smell of a BIR curry...I'm sniffing it on my shirt now, in  fact!   ;)
I find that hard to believe, unless you're leaving something out in the recipes that you've posted recently

I presume, from your above statement, that you have tried my recipes SS?  If so, is there anything that YOU have left out (of either my base or my main dish recipes) such as my spice mix and/or my spiced oil?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 01:09 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 07:35 AM »
Secret Santa, CA,

with some hesitation i feel a need to explore this a bit. the jag and mini analogy works real good for me. it's quite deep and needs thinking about but i think best describes where i'm at too - in the mini. mine has wide lowish profile tyres and few more extras - it's particularly quick. i get the BIR smell all the time (only in the garage) and i know this must be the same as CA (i've followed his instructions).

i don't feel it that helpful to say where the mini is in the BIR hireracy - it's clearly not at the top. i've been trying to pinpoint gaps to produce a step change. i can't find any. CA's use of the best is relevant - i only like 1 TA in warrington (like DD i've search and relied on word of mouth - there are many poor imitations of the real mc coy these days).

the jag i know to be Bangladeshi. the trouble is for me i can't fathom where the gaps are other than recipe refinement in some way.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 08:20 AM »
I guess what we need is an Indian chef watching us cook our curries to pinpoint exactly where we are going wrong. Or maybe we set up a CR0 meetup group and invite (or pay) a chef to come along to give demos. I'd be happy to pay 20 - 30 pounds to get this solved once and for all.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Now were getting somewhere  ;D

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 03:38 PM »
I'd be happy to pay 20 - 30 pounds to get this solved once and for all

Ditto.

If I was in the UK, I would have tried that a long time ago!

©2024 Curry Recipes