Author Topic: Chilli sauce from the East BIR  (Read 24824 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli sauce from the East BIR
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 07:26 PM »
Since when is tikka marinade pre cooked before adding to the meat? And what type of tikka marinade is mostly tomato puree as this is?

NO it ain't tikka marinade. And YES it was chilli not paprika!   ::)

But I'd love to see you try making tikka with it, the outcome would be edible and interesting.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 07:40 PM »
What brand of Chilli powder please?
Chilli Powder - Hot Chilli Powder?
What Tin did it come from and did you smell it? Did you get a chance to look at it, did you put a moistened finger in it, taste it and decide?

You know there is a food colouring question in Indian food (UK) these days right?

The simple answer to your question on whether I could make Tikka from this is a plain and simple YES! Damned strait I could. Brutal topic cooking but the test of time is tasting food.
I don't trust a recipe, just because its posted. I test everything.

Since when is tikka marinade pre cooked before adding to the meat? And what type of tikka marinade is mostly tomato puree as this is?

But I'd love to see you try making tikka with it, the outcome would be edible and interesting.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 07:56 PM »
What brand of Chilli powder please?
Chilli Powder - Hot Chilli Powder?
What Tin did it come from and did you smell it? Did you get a chance to look at it, did you put a moistened finger in it, taste it and decide?

Mikka why don't you watch it yourself and answer those (unanswerable) questions?! Here's the link: http://www.easttakeaway.co.uk/webcam.php

Or, better still, why don't you phone them up and ask: 0161 343 3657,  I've got better things to ponder.

You know there is a food colouring question in Indian food (UK) these days right?

If you can explain how that is even vaguely relevant, or how it in any way impacts on the recipe, I'd be amazed.  ::)

The simple answer to your question on whether I could make Tikka from this is a plain and simple YES! Damned strait I could.

That's going to be one hell of a tomatoey, chillified, tikka. I'll pass if you don't mind.

I don't trust a recipe, just because its posted. I test everything

About the most sensible thing you've said!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 08:03 PM »

Maybe it could be used, maybe it couldn't....... I'm certainly not one for throwing an idea in the bin just because it hasn't been sanctioned by anyone else who has been cooking Indian food a lot longer than someone else........

I tend to use blades recipe for tikka in the past but it relies on Pataks paste, its a great tikka don't get me wrong, but I would really like to find a way of making great tikka without having to rely on Pataks......

Isn't it what this site is all about? experimenting? trying something different? I'm not knocking all the people who have done great work on here and have got it pretty much together, but................

I'll try anything once and twice if I like it, whether it be an old recipe used by millions or something new not yet tried... :)

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 08:22 PM »
Whatever Santa.
I cannot argue with you, and will not.

My food is good I'd love to test it against yours for certain.
Thank you.

I don't trust a recipe, just because its posted. I test everything

About the most sensible thing you've said!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 12:53 AM »
This thread is all rather bizarre isn't it?

What is this stuff ("tomato paste" or "chilli sauce" or something else?)?
What is it used for?
What is it used in?
When is it used?
How is it used?

How can anyone tell what the ingredients are (with any certainty) from a webcam?  Are the ingredients labelled?  Do they tell you?  How can you tell then?

Why on earth would anybody even bother to try and make this if they don't know the answers to the above questions?  Beats me  :-\

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 12:57 AM »
What are the units of measure, please, SS?

Whatever you choose. These are ratios, so you could have one tsp of tamarind, 22 tsps tomato puree etc. He used chef's spoons.

EDIT: I've amended the original to make this clear

I sort of recognised that but, the reason I asked, was that you also had "2 long squirts of lemon dressing" which is obviously specific to a particular measure (i.e. chef's spoons and presumably not teaspoons)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 01:26 AM »
many thanks Secret Santa - just the inspiration i needed for a step change.

Huh?  :-\

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 10:45 AM »
sometimes this site really does challenge the count to ten principle.

this recipe is for chilli sauce.

there is no food colouring in it - i don't use food colouring at all (i did try some when i was experimenting with keema naan but it's not something i want to adopt). the camera has not got the colour quite right - it's a tad darker. i have only used the as spec ingredients.

i don't have any base at the mo - i intend to have a curry night on Christmas eve and will make base this week. the chilli sauce is part of the prep.

my interest in it comes from trying to produce plain curry sauce (for ages). i recently relented and asked the chef at my local TA (posted previously). he put me onto "chilli sauce" which he makes himself to his own recipe.

the ashoka south indian garlic sauce was posted at around the same time - the ingredients were very similar to the clues the chef  had given me. the ashoka is very good and i've adopted it going fwd. it clashed (the vinegar) with the lemon in the plain curry sauce though.

i asked the chef this week and he told me NO vinegar in the sauce. hence my interest in Secret Santa's recipe.

Secret Santa's chilli sauce is quite different to the ashoka "chilli sauce". i feel i need both in the future.

this is my current recipe for plain curry sauce. it's almost there but not 100% (yet).

lemon juice (i think u need dressing though) 10 ml
mix powder 5 ml
chilli sauce 45 ml
tom puree 5 ml
bunjarra 15 ml
base 300ml

the only issues i see to resolve are salt (none in Secret Santa's chilli sauce and will therefore need adding at cooking stage) and mango chutney (i ended putting it in the ashoka sauce).

in terms of using it - i see it as an admix much like bunjarra. because it's already cooked it is added after the spice frying ie for me with the base.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 11:55 AM »
sometimes this site really does challenge the count to ten principle

You can certainly say that again Jerry, it seems to me that some members are off in cloud cuckoo land all too often!  ::)

this recipe is for chilli sauce

Is it?  But it has about 4 times as much tomato puree as the next most prevalent ingredient?

the chilli sauce is part of the prep

Part of the prep for that exactly?

my interest in it comes from trying to produce plain curry sauce (for ages)

But isn't a "plain curry sauce" essentially a curry base with little else added?

the ashoka south indian garlic sauce was posted at around the same time - the ingredients were very similar

I'd say they were quite different Jerry, and the "South Indian Garlic Sauce" (not chilli sauce?) was for a specific curry wasn't it?

i feel i need both in the future

Errrr, why?

the only issues i see to resolve are salt

It seems to me that there are quite a few "issues" to resolve!   :-\

Sorry to be blunt Jerry, but I get very perplexed with the vagueness and obfuscation of threads and posts sometimes!  :-X
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:13 PM by Cory Ander »

©2024 Curry Recipes