Author Topic: Chilli sauce from the East BIR  (Read 24819 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli sauce from the East BIR
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Why on earth would anybody even bother to try and make this if they don't know the answers to the above questions?  Beats me  :-\

CA I just put here what I observed. If you don't like it, don't get involved, and move on.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2009, 12:25 PM »
the reason I asked, was that you also had "2 long squirts of lemon dressing" which is obviously specific to a particular measure...

He took a bottle of KTC lemon dressing and gave it two long squirts! If you want to try to quantify that, be my guest.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2009, 12:42 PM »
this is my current recipe for plain curry sauce. it's almost there but not 100% (yet).

lemon juice (i think u need dressing though) 10 ml
mix powder 5 ml
chilli sauce 45 ml
tom puree 5 ml
bunjarra 15 ml
base 300ml

Jerry, how would this be used? It's not something I've seen in a BIR.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Whatever Santa.
I cannot argue with you, and will not.

I hadn't realised we were arguing.   ???

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2009, 01:18 PM »
He took a bottle of KTC lemon dressing and gave it two long squirts! If you want to try to quantify that, be my guest.

More haste, less speed, perhaps SS?  You missed my point.  My point was that "two long squirts" is proportionally heaps more lemon if all the other ingredients are measured in teaspoons rather than chefs spoons!  :-\

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2009, 01:21 PM »
CA I just put here what I observed. If you don't like it, don't get involved, and move on.

Sorry SS, I think it's perfectly valid, for any member, to question "why?"  ::)

And, as the originator, I think it's incumbent upon you to answer it sensibly.....otherwise, I feel that you're just perpetuating confusion :-\

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 02:07 PM »
Santa.
Peace Bro. Sorry for stirring things up, its just about food, nothing personal. I've tried so many different things and the success rate isn't good. What I do find interesting is that there are now two apparent garlic sauces, bases are gelling down and becoming similar from what I can see?

Can I ask another question please?
1. What time of day was this sauce applied to the base?
2. Did the restaurant guy actually tell you what he was using?
3 .Do you think he was pepping up the taste in a dying base?

I'm not doubting what you saw for one minute at all. We all complain about hidden processes but to my mind restaurants (in this case) are often to blame for that. I will make a batch up and see what it smells like, I think I already know but quantities are small so it won't matter.

I have huge beef pieces to cook in a curry today. This will be a challenge for me again (Beef taste). But this time I've hit it with a powerful marinade so I'm hoping for the best.

Best regards.

Go cook  :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 06:04 PM »
I assume this is another BIR time saving recipe for making any of the hot curries. I imagine a ladle of this mixed with 3 ladles of base sauce would make a pretty decent Madras. I once spoke to a chef who talked about having 4 or 5 different bases. They mix and match depending on the result needed. It makes a lot of sense from a time saving point of view.

Jerry, did you try mixing yours with base? If so, how was it?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2009, 08:34 PM »
My point was that "two long squirts" is proportionally heaps more lemon if all the other ingredients are measured in teaspoons rather than chefs spoons!  :-\

Ahh, indeed, I see your point. Well if, as was the case, everything else is measured in heaped chef's spoons, then it is two long squirts. So, yes, that amount has to be proportionally reduced to accommodate whatever units of measurement you happen to choose, be it teaspoons, tablespoons, or whatever.

I'm guessing that two long squirts equate to two level chef's spoons, or one heaped (were it possible) chef's spoon. I'll amend the original!

EDIT: Apparently I can't edit the original recipe any more. Will you change "2 long squirts of lemon dressing" to "1 KTC lemon dressing" for me please? Ta.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2009, 09:13 PM »
Can I ask another question please?
1. What time of day was this sauce applied to the base?
2. Did the restaurant guy actually tell you what he was using?
3 .Do you think he was pepping up the taste in a dying base?

Mikka this recipe is from me watching him on the webcam. I wasn't actually there in person.

The sauce wasn't added to the base, only the oil recovered from this sauce was.

I can assure you that I've watched these guys enough times to know , at least in this instance, that what I've put in the recipe is 99% accurate!   ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes