Author Topic: Chilli sauce from the East BIR  (Read 24807 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli sauce from the East BIR
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2009, 01:12 AM »
SS - this thread has grown quickly so I may have missed a few points:

- How much of this chilli sauce is added to a curry? Which ones? When?

Thx,
Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 10:05 AM »
I imagine a ladle of this mixed with 3 ladles of base sauce would make a pretty decent Madras.

chriswg - my hero.

on the lemon juice i converted the 2 off squirts into a guess at 5 units. this is how i've interpreted the recipe to date (making ~ 1 jam jar 450g size):

oil 30ml
garlic 10ml
ginger 30ml
chilli powder 30ml
mix powder 10ml
tamerind 5ml
tom puree 110ml
lemon dressing (i only had juice) 25 ml
water 230 ml (tbc)

this is not a base. i use it as an addmix to make plain curry sauce ie no meat. plain curry sauce is what i have as a starter with naan bread wherever i go.

i've not finalised how to make the curry sauce yet but this is quite close to the TA version:

1) oil 4 or 6 tbsp, 5ml mix powder, 5ml tom puree, 1 chef base, all in the pan, stir to mix and heat till emulsified (30 - 60 sec)
2) 300ml base, 10 ml lemon juice (should be dressing), 45 ml chilli sauce, 15 ml bunjarra, evap off till right consistency (typ 3 mins)

the ashoka south indian is just as nice as this chilli sauce. it's just different.

i have not tried out any mains dishes with the chilli sauce as upto Secret Santa's post i hadn't got the sauce right. going fwd i intend to use the Secret Santa's chilli sauce in dishes that have lemon juice in the recipe and the ashoka south indian in any recipe that has vinegar in it. i will probably simply swap the lemon or vinegar in the recipe for the sauce.

going fwd i would need to add salt to the plain curry sauce recipe if using Secret Santa's sauce (it contains no salt). i think i would also try out adding mango chutney (this works well in the ashoka south indian chilli sauce).

the "prep" is what i refer to getting all the ingredients ready in advance for cooking curry ie bunjarra, g/g paste and naan dough the night before. i include anything that will keep a day or so in the fridge and reduces the effort on the cooking night. i essentially don't use anything frozen (other than green chilli and fresh coriander).

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2009, 02:35 PM »
- How much of this chilli sauce is added to a curry? Which ones? When?

I've no idea. I only saw the sauce made and it was then taken off to the room behind the cooker. This was at the end of the night, so presumably it's left overnight to cool and then ladled into one of those stainless steel pans they use, ready for use.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2009, 06:25 PM »
I'm only guessing.
I'm starting to think this is the hot sauce I keep talking about perhaps? If 6 spoons of chilli are going into it, and another recipe is on this site from another source it could well be something like this that I am looking for?

It's condensed if it has that much power which leads me to think its a quick additive to other dishes having thought about it, perhaps even to the onions we see added to Vindaloo in places?

I bet however it could kick a base sauce right in the nuptials when needed?  ;D
Very interesting stuff.

Thanks for posting this.

I've no idea. I only saw the sauce made and it was then taken off to the room behind the cooker. This was at the end of the night, so presumably it's left overnight to cool and then ladled into one of those stainless steel pans they use, ready for use.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2009, 09:23 AM »
i got a bottle of the Lemon Dressing yesterday (went for the KTC but they also had TRS)

i've only reluctantly started using lemon juice recently (after the local TA chef said he used it). it's done nothing for me really in terms of getting closer to BIR. it's just too sour and bitter.

i've had the lemon dressing on my mind for a while. the Asian supermarket have a lot in their "catering" isle (20L drums of oil etc).

for me it is the real deal - i can drink it straight out the bottle (amazing what a bit of citric acid and sugar does). - i think u could even at a push use it in your gin.

i don't feel it to be essential for making say chilli sauce but it is at dish frying.

ps i later noticed the bottle on the shelf in the TA is dressing.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2009, 10:52 AM »
Jerry is it sweet?
I use citric acid in meals when I remember? (It's remembering).  :-\ I'll see if I can find some but if its just citric acid/sugar/lime or lemon it shouldn't be hard for folks not finding it to make a solution I would think?

Do you have an ingredient list please?

for me it is the real deal - i can drink it straight out the bottle (amazing what a bit of citric acid and sugar does). - i think u could even at a push use it in your gin.

i don't feel it to be essential for making say chilli sauce but it is at dish frying.

ps i later noticed the bottle on the shelf in the TA is dressing.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2009, 11:49 AM »
Just a thought but don't you think there is a good chance this paste is their diluted tomato paste with a kick?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2009, 01:09 PM »
Just a thought but don't you think there is a good chance this paste is their diluted tomato paste with a kick?

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it being made. But that's an awful lot of sour ingredients and chilli to be in a general purpose tomato paste (as opposed to a chilli paste), don't you think? Definitely within the realms of possibility though.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2009, 05:44 PM »
That's exactly what I thought when I saw it being made. But that's an awful lot of sour ingredients and chilli to be in a general purpose tomato paste (as opposed to a chilli paste), don't you think? Definitely within the realms of possibility though.

On reflection of the ingredients, it looks like it could be used as the garlic / ginger / tomato paste / spice mix for hot curries. Extra chilli could be added for hotter dishes. This could speed up the process of adding them all seperately.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2009, 08:17 PM »
I've been thinking... :o

We don't know what this is for, but we DO know that the oil is reclaimed and goes into the base. How large is the base? I'd be for doing a scaled version of this to match the volume of say CA's base (I'm having a lot of success with it) and adding the oil in. Could be a good shout.

©2024 Curry Recipes