Author Topic: Lidl chicken korma - closest to BIR? Only 89p.  (Read 15298 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Lidl chicken korma - closest to BIR? Only 89p.
« on: August 08, 2005, 09:41 AM »
What a find! Lidl sell a frozen chicken korma / pillau rice pack, currently for 89p (350g).

The main reason for mentioning it here is that I'm sure it tastes closer to a BIR chicken korma than any other product I've tried from any supermarket, whether it be frozen, chilled or bottled. In any event, it's delicious.

What are your favourite supermarket curries?

Regards
George

Offline dc

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Lidl chicken korma - closest to BIR? Only 89p.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 11:51 PM »
Sharwoods frozen Chicken Tikka Massala - until they changed recipe a couple of years ago.

ASDA Garlic Chilli Chicken from the curry counter - till they stopped doing it.

Marks and Spencer Balti sauce - the only curry in a jar that dosnt taste of vinegar!!

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 08:08 AM »
What a find! Lidl sell a frozen chicken korma / pillau rice pack, currently for 89p (350g).
Regards
George
I don't know Lidl
Who are they, are they a supermarket?

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 08:17 AM »
Lidls is an ultra cheap, no frills  chain of German supermarkets which operate in the UK. I think there's a similar type chain called Aldi.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 05:52 PM »
Hi George,
Mumtaz Chicken Tikka Massala. Made by the famous Bradford Restaurant ( or under license to )?and shipped to many a supermarket including the
Co-Op. Can't beat Lidle's price though as it is ?2.99p a go. But very, very tasty and representative of the BIR taste. Does it get around the country?? Who has seen Mumtaz products where they live?

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 08:17 PM »
LIDL is really good quality & cheep .Never tried their Curries though better add to shopping list  ;D

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 11:44 AM »
I hope i dont offend anyone but i have to say microwave curry and those terrible jars of curry style sauce you can buy are the pits and goes against everything i stand for when it comes to curry, they are just horrible and as far away from a takeaway as one can get....my 2 cents worth.

Still i may just try this lidle one ;)

stew 8)

Offline sultry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 01:33 PM »
I agree with goerge on kormas sold at lidl. Seeing that they were really cheap, i just couldn't resist buying one. Popped it in the microwave; expecting a usual 5/10 for a typical supermarket curry & was truly surprised how nice this korma tasted.

Amazing value for money & it put the other supermarkets to shame, considering their silly prices & quality of watery curries. Just goes to show you that sometimes, all you are buying is their fancy packaging.

I believe that these days, people are buying certian foods from expensive supermarkets, because its hip to do that! What ever happened to quality. If it tastes good, then forget all your silly, fancy (i shop at M&S) packaging.

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 11:36 AM »
I hope i dont offend anyone but i have to say microwave curry and those terrible jars of curry style sauce you can buy are the pits and goes against everything i stand for when it comes to curry, they are just horrible and as far away from a takeaway as one can get....my 2 cents worth.

Still i may just try this lidle one ;)

stew 8)

I totally agree, some of them are truly vile and chemical-tasting and reminiscent of cat sick!? :P

HOWEVER, if you get the chance do try Asda's Chicken Vindaloo from the chiller section (NOT the frozen section, those curries are bad) it is fantastic!

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 12:05 PM »
I`had Asda Chicken Vindalloo & it is very good as is many of their chilled Curries etc.... ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes