Author Topic: Lidl chicken korma - closest to BIR? Only 89p.  (Read 15179 times)

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Lidl chicken korma - closest to BIR? Only 89p.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 02:46 PM »
I tried the lidl frozen package this past week...i had the balti chicken one and was not impressed.  It was ok, not great. I have tried the Birdseye frozen chicken ones and found those to be terrible.  The sauce was ok but the chicken was not edible!  The best ones I have had are the Sharwoods ones I buy from Farmfoods - the frozen food store.  Their chicken tickka masala is great!!!!

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 02:49 PM »
Yes sultry i totaly agree with you mate, its not food, its M&S food ...You've been sold the lie ..Good to see free thought roams this site nice.... ;D

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 11:12 PM »
I`had Asda Chicken Vindalloo & it is very good as is many of their chilled Curries etc....

yes darth i agree BUT are we any closer to the cigar called hamlet( darthy, just thought of a twist to the advert"happiness is a cigar called hamlet" if you see him finishing a darth phall curry goes to the toilet via the freezer gets the softest ever Andrex then pops in toliet with his happiness in in his hand) or maybe the beers kicking in satruday nite and all. gutted no curry tonite! but rajver cuury gravy in the fridge yippee! so  bir curry so happy.... ;D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 08:45 AM »
Ace !!!
Nice to see there is so much good humour on this site theses days, i feel more inclined to come back & post more thank you all.
As i don't smoke or drink i`ll subsidize the beer for a flagon of the finest full fat Pepsi ( i can taste that freedom now hehehe). ;D
And i could always smoke a Salami !!!!( would make a good picture.mmmm).

Your friend DARTHPHALL.........

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 09:07 AM »
Ace !!!  Nice to see there is so much good humour on this site theses days.

I quite agree! Life doesn't have to be serious all the time! It's refreshing to come on the site and find folk with a bit of humour and it's good to have a laugh trying to  find that elusive secret!

Offline steve e

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 06:10 AM »
Hi Guys,
I have to agree with you all about humour creeping in to the site, I reckon you all know where I live!
in close vicinity is 2 x aldi`s and 3 x lidls, its just a matter of checking for the best sell by date and
living with that sense of "I didn`t make this one guilt". ;D
steve e

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 08:03 PM »
Hello All,

Just been to LidI and they cost me 1.89 each just for sad fun heres
the bar code "20113513" and they came with rice, is this the same one!

hang on just noticed it's 450g pack made by noon products
middlesex UB2 4NA.

Was your Korma by noon products?

graeme.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 08:10 PM by graeme »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2005, 02:50 PM »
Graeme

No, the 450g Korma in the refrigerator section is the 'chilled food' version at ?1.89.

It may taste different. I haven't tried one. The version I recommended is the 350g frozen one, made by County Foods t/a Delta Dairyfood, still at 89p in the freezer section.

I believe Noon is the largest producer of Indian food for UK supermarkets.

Regards
George
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 02:52 PM by George »

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2005, 11:40 AM »
Thanks for your reply,

I will have a neb and see if i can find
the correct one.

graeme

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2005, 12:54 PM »
Gosh, Lidl seem to have a wide choice of manufacturers for their increasingly large range of both chilled and frozen curries. I was back at Lidl this morning and, by a spot of luck, found a pack of the Noon ?1.89 chilled Chicken Korma on special offer at 95p, so I will try it later.

Lidll must specify the packing since both are branded 'Kanpur Garden' with the same basic colour scheme for the cardboard cover.

The ingredients are quite different, though. The frozen one, which I already rate as 'excellent like a BIR' contains coconut cream as the second largest sauce ingredient after water. It also contains ground almonds and chicken stock amongst many other ingredients.

The chilled food version contains more single cream than coconut cream.

Some of Lidl's other curries are made by further manufacturers, besides Noon and County Foods.

Regards
George

Update: I have now tried the 450g chilled food version of Lidl's chicken korma made by Noon Products. Lilke most of the Noon output it's not bad, but nothing special. Compared to virtually the same thing in M&S and the like for around double the price, though, it's a bargain. But I'll stick to the 89p frozen one, which is better in absolute terms, regardless of price, quite apart from being very like many a BIR chicken korma.

Mr Noon has made millions serving up lackluste curries to supermarkets. If there is any fairness in the world, imagine how most people would probably prefer your curries and you too could make millions. But it's not about food quality, it's about being able to sell and get yourself listed as a preferred supplier.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 02:54 PM by George »

©2024 Curry Recipes