Author Topic: Measuring spoons  (Read 8646 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Measuring spoons
« on: December 23, 2009, 02:39 PM »
Hey guys

It's dawned on me recently that I wasn't completely sure what members meant by spoonfuls in their recipes. I know in mls what each different spoon holds but I couldn't quite remember if that was that level, rounded, heaped or levelled with the back of a knife (as BE instructs in his most recent base recipe).

I was chatting with CA and for his recipes, he uses bog standard out of the cutlery drawer spoons, rounded if unspecified. This is what I do also. However I'm assured there is a wide variation in sizes of spoon.

So, I'm going to buy a set of proper measuring spoons. I recently bought scales (I previously just judged by eye). This has improved my results - I'm no doubt getting closer to the result intended by the recipe's author. I think measuring spoons could help too.

Is anyone currently using measuring spoons? I think it would be a good way to standardise our units.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

BB.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Measuring spoons
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 02:54 PM »
Any thoughts appreciated

Only that, in my opinion, more precision is better than less precision, in terms of reproducibility, understanding and eliminating variables.

I think that those of us who just "chuck in a bit of this and a bit of that", and are expecting consistent and repeatable results, are seriously deluding ourselves!   ::)

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 03:00 PM »
Oddly I was talking to Cory about this a few weeks ago. I always use measuring spoons. I'm not strict on perfect measures since I constantly taste and adjust but I find them very useful.

That said I use Desert spoons too.  ::)

Is anyone currently using measuring spoons? I think it would be a good way to standardise our units.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

BB.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 04:08 PM »
I always use them now. I got some from a chinese shop for about ?1.50. They are actually made in India.

I would definitely recommend them as it is so easy to be accurate - when you want to be that is!

Offline dellydel

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 04:36 PM »
I have always used measuring spoons measuring 1/2, tsp, 1 tsp, desert spoon and tblsp.

Believe it or not I got them from a xmas cracker years ago!  You may be lucky this year ;)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 08:02 PM »
Hi
Recipes are written to give us the chance to replicate them. So maybe failure is not down to the author but the cook?
Comiss

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 08:06 PM »
Hi
Recipes are written to give us the chance to replicate them. So maybe failure is not down to the author but the cook?
Comiss

Hi Comiss

What I was suggesting is that the recipe's author may be using a different size of tsp, dsrt spoon etc. to what the person trying the recipe has, or may be using a level, rounded, or heaped spoon without mentioning which one. If we all agree to use standardised measurement, I.e. measuring spoons, then we're all reading from the same hymn sheet.

Cheers

BB

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 08:11 PM »
Hi
Bb I tend to treat all recipes as though they came from a catering manual. All spoon measures are level, weights are measured on a scale.
Commis

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Hi
Bb I tend to treat all recipes as though they came from a catering manual. All spoon measures are level, weights are measured on a scale.
Commis

Well it's funny that you should say that as I was chatting to one of our recipe authors today, who uses rounded spoons, as do I. It just shows you that my point is valid. If you try his recipes, you will not be obtaining the same results. Furthermore, you've failed to address the possibility that our tsps, dsrtsps and tbsps may be of varying size. This is why we need to reach an agreement.

Cheers

BB.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 09:31 PM »
Hi
Bb sorry if my reply was not clear. I use standard measures, eg 1tsp=5ml and so on.
Commis

©2024 Curry Recipes