Author Topic: Lamb Madras and rice  (Read 8393 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Lamb Madras and rice
« on: December 24, 2009, 01:05 AM »
Hi Guys

Tonight I made a custom 2 onion base, Madras and Pillau rice. It was very tasty indeed!

Cheers

BB.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Madras and rice
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 01:26 AM »
Lookin' good, BB!

Mmmm Lamb Madras...

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 08:10 AM »
That looks delicious 8)

n1 BB

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 09:14 AM »
Bobby,

rice is real impressive.

how long did the 2 onion base take - was it a std but small volume or a curry in hurry quick approach.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:17 AM »
Thanks guys  :)

I'm afraid this was just curry in a hurry and no base to hand / moving flat in a few weeks so didn't wan't to fill up the freezer. I just used 2 onions, 1 fresh tomato, bog standard spices in small quantities, a touch of creamed coconut, garlic, ginger, salt and msg. I was just playing around. It turned out well. Not quite as good as using E.g. BE's, SnS' or CA's base and recipe but not far off.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Bobby that looks really good pal.
I did the same sort of thing some time back with tom sauce in a tin. You know sometimes I do wonder myself if all of these processes we put ourselves through are worth it when you end up with something as good as this?

MSG? I've used it once. Do you think it makes any difference and how did you cook your meat please? Nice one.  ;D

Thanks guys  :)

I'm afraid this was just curry in a hurry and no base to hand / moving flat in a few weeks so didn't wan't to fill up the freezer. I just used 2 onions, 1 fresh tomato, bog standard spices in small quantities, a touch of creamed coconut, garlic, ginger, salt and msg. I was just playing around. It turned out well. Not quite as good as using E.g. BE's, SnS' or CA's base and recipe but not far off.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 06:17 PM »
Bobby that looks really good pal.
I did the same sort of thing some time back with tom sauce in a tin. You know sometimes I do wonder myself if all of these processes we put ourselves through are worth it when you end up with something as good as this?

MSG? I've used it once. Do you think it makes any difference and how did you cook your meat please? Nice one.  ;D

Hey Mikka

To be honest this didn't take me much less time than a full blown effort, it's just I didn't want lots of base as I'm moving soon. If that wasn't the case I'd have been better off making a normal sized base.

I cooked the lamb by gently simmering some rump steaks for an hour. I find they come out lovely and tender. I don't bother pre cooking in spices etc anymore as I don't think it needs it in a Madras.

I don't think MSG makes a huge difference. I was just having a play with one or two ingredients as I'd had a few tinnies! ;D

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 07:05 PM »
Steaks! There you go.
Impossible in a restaurant but this is one time I think that most people can get one over on them  ;D

Sounds and looks really good though Bobby. RICE.
Ok your rice looks more on a par with Restaurant rice because it looks oily. Did you use more than usual?

On the subject of oil.............
I'm going to add spice oil to Naan's and rice in future. It cannot be carcinogenic since its never been raised in heat to any level, so it should be good to go.

Like you I'm not convinced about MSG, there are many salts out there. The dryness "I need a bucket of water" in the evening or night after a meal could be a lot of things? It certainly is not salt that is for certain.   

Nice one again now what did you do with the rice please?  ;D

Hey Mikka

To be honest this didn't take me much less time than a full blown effort, it's just I didn't want lots of base as I'm moving soon. If that wasn't the case I'd have been better off making a normal sized base.

I cooked the lamb by gently simmering some rump steaks for an hour. I find they come out lovely and tender. I don't bother pre cooking in spices etc anymore as I don't think it needs it in a Madras.

I don't think MSG makes a huge difference. I was just having a play with one or two ingredients as I'd had a few tinnies! ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 08:32 PM »
Ok your rice looks more on a par with Restaurant rice because it looks oily. Did you use more than usual?

There's no oil, just one tsp of veg ghee at the start with the whole spices in the pan, gently fried for a min, in with washed rice, coated it and added the boiling water. Half cooked the rice then put the pan in the oven at 120 degrees for 15 mins.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 12:54 PM »
Looks really good BB, particularly the rice  8)

©2024 Curry Recipes