Author Topic: very mild curry  (Read 1596 times)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
very mild curry
« on: December 31, 2009, 03:06 PM »
hi want to make a curry for a kid, dont like anything spicy. i wont be able to use any base. Has anyone any recommendations for something tasty and mild.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: very mild curry
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 03:19 PM »
Try this Jimmy :)

CHICKEN KORMA

Ingredients
8 Chicken Breasts - cut into bite size cubes
300g Plain Yoghurt - Greek Style
3 heaped Tbsp Ginger & Garlic Paste
Pinch of salt
Pinch of Ground Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Ground Coriander
2 Tsp Turmeric
2 Onions - Finely Chopped
3 Tbsp Groundnut Oil
1/8th Tsp Chilli (or leave out altogether)
215 grams Creamed Coconut
5 heaped Tbsp Ground Almonds
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
1 Tbsp Sugar (or to taste)
Water
Finely chopped Coriander leaves
1/4 pint of Double Cream
Milk

Method
Prepare the Chicken.
Put the Chicken, yoghurt, ginger & garlic paste, salt, pepper, ground coriander, chilli and turmeric into a bowl and mix well. Cover and put in the fridge to marinade for at least 4 hours.

Heat a deep pan, when hot add the oil, reduce the heat to medium then add the onions and and  sweat the onions until soft and transparent, about 5-7 minutes. Do not burn the onions or this will impart a bitter flavour.

Remove the chicken from the marinade, turn up the heat to high and add the chicken, stir constantly until the chicken has sealed. If the Chicken starts to stick to the pan add a little more oil. Cook for about 5 minutes.

Reduce the heat to medium and add the marinade and cook for a further 5 minutes.  Then add the coconut milk, ground almonds, sugar and garam masala and cook for a further 5 minutes. The sauce should be a rich consistency. Remove the chicken and put the sauce in a blender and blend until smooth. Return to the pan and add the chicken.

If the sauce is too thin, remove the chicken and set aside and continue to cook the sauce until it reduces stirring constantly so it doesn?t burn, then add back the chicken. If the mixture becomes too thick add some milk to dilute it slightly.

Continue to cook the chicken until it is cooked through.

Turn off the heat, add the cream, mix in thoroughly, sprinkle with the chopped coriander and serve.

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 04:51 PM »
thx 976bar.

i just made one, using just some inititive

was only needing enough for the lad.

so i made a sauce from

curry powder
grated cocunut block
squeeze of lemon
natural yogurt
pinch of cummin seeds
tumeric
some fresh coriander
touch of ground coriander

threw in some pre-cooked chicken

it was very good for being so basic, the sauce was thick before i srtarted cooking, but had to add some corn flour before the end to thicken up, the yogurt must have broke down a bit while on the heat.

the main thing the kid loved it.

i didint go for a korma because of the spices in the base gravy maybe being to much though i see your one is without a base. mines actually looked like a poor relation to the one you posted.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 06:42 PM »
I've made this before for my kids, and yes made it from scratch with no base. It's always handy to have few recipes put by for the times when you have run out of base :)

©2024 Curry Recipes