Author Topic: Why are BIR Curries Today Different to Those of Yesteryear?  (Read 17985 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Why are BIR Curries Today Different to Those of Yesteryear?
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 06:38 AM »
Posted by Mikka and moved to here by CA

Derek:
I'm inclined to agree with you on that as regards memory of what you ate before and standards. I get incredible food here, no lie. Yes some cook differently but 20% are fantastic. The rest? Well we know about them don't we.

Anyway I'm enjoying learning and trying new things as always. Life's a journey and so is good food and friends.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 06:45 AM »
Posted by DerekDhansak and moved to here by CA

I have sniffed out loads of superb BIr up and down the country serving amazing food. Its always been good, and still is

Hi DD,

I agree with you that there are still BIRs which produce curries as good (and the same tasting) as those of yesteryear....up until 2005, at least, which is when I was last in the UK...I can't say, for sure, how things may have changed since then.

Any chance that you good provide a list of these "superb BIRs" you have "sniffed out" for the benefit of other members here (e.g. SS) who clearly feel they can't get a decent BIR curries (like those of the 80s) anymore?  Perhaps they could then try them and give us their verdict too?

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2010, 02:23 PM »
Every town or city has a few great BIR. just trust your nose, literally. if you walk in and its busy, and has the smell, then try it out with ordering a madras. Compare a few madras from different TAs in the same town. i guarantee one will stand out as leagues above the rest. I would do a list but cant remember many non local ones. And from experience i find 1 in 6 BIR are actually very good. so its not rocket science. tip: always buy the madras on thursday night.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2010, 04:33 PM »
i have been eating curries for 20 yrs, i stay in Glasgow , Scotland , and the curry taste and flavour depends on which place you eat out at, but the taste of curries in and around the city centre has remained the same, not much has changed.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:27 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:33 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2010, 01:34 PM »
i have been eating curries for 20 yrs, i stay in Glasgow , Scotland , and the curry taste and flavour depends on which place you eat out at, but the taste of curries in and around the city centre has remained the same, not much has changed.

I presume, therefore, that you are not in a position to say if the curries of the past 20 years (in Glasgow) are comparable to those before, say, 1990, but you believe they haven't changed since then?

©2024 Curry Recipes