Author Topic: Kashmiri chillies  (Read 29990 times)

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Kashmiri chillies
« on: January 03, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Does anyone know where I cam lay my hand on some Kashmiri chilli seeds? I thought I would like to give them a go this year.

T63

Offline fridgedoc

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Kashmiri chillies
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:50 PM »
Hi Tempest

I have grown chilli plants from dried chillies so pop along o your local Indian shop and buy some dried chillies......simples tskkkkk!!!!

regards

fridgedoc

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Hi Tempest

I have grown chilli plants from dried chillies so pop along o your local Indian shop and buy some dried chillies......simples tskkkkk!!!!

regards

fridgedoc

Could you please clarify?

I too would like to grow kashmiri chillies, but I can't seem to source fresh or dried ones locally... I've picked something that looked like, but I can't tell for sure -- it was the chinese emporium. Color-wise and shape-wise they are similar. Is there anything you can do to differentiate?

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:15 PM »
Hi Tempest

regards

fridgedoc

I too would like to grow kashmiri chillies, but I can't seem to source fresh or dried ones locally... I've picked something that looked like, but I can't tell for sure -- it was the chinese emporium. Color-wise and shape-wise they are similar. Is there anything you can do to differentiate?

Kashmiri chillies are very distinctive in both dry and fresh form (though I've never seen them for sale fresh). When dried they have a particulalry gnarly appearance:

Thy're dead easy to grow from seed harvested from dried Kashmiris, and you can get hold of them from most Asian supermarkets/shops or online at various places: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Fudco-Kashmiri-Chilli-Peppers-Whole.html

Here's what they look like fresh (the Kashmiris are the long green ones in the middle and edge, and they're green as they were the last of my harvest last year before the cold weather set in. A few days on the window sill and they ripen nicely to a gorgeous deep red):

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 08:49 PM »
Hi Tempest

regards

fridgedoc

Kashmiri chillies are very distinctive in both dry and fresh form (though I've never seen them for sale fresh). When dried they have a particulalry gnarly appearance:

Thy're dead easy to grow from seed harvested from dried Kashmiris, and you can get hold of them from most Asian supermarkets/shops or online at various places: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Fudco-Kashmiri-Chilli-Peppers-Whole.html

Here's what they look like fresh (the Kashmiris are the long green ones in the middle and edge, and they're green as they were the last of my harvest last year before the cold weather set in. A few days on the window sill and they ripen nicely to a gorgeous deep red):

Wow, Thanks Salvador!

I have those green chillies in my fridge, so I'm a little surprised no one in the asian stores ever knows that they are kashmiri. One time, I was talking directly to a supplier of the asian store who himself was from kashmir and he couldn't recognize them and they had those green ones in the store. I presume kashmiri may just be the name used in the asian grocers in britain?

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:20 PM »
I've sown some of these seeds today using Chris's method http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11647.0.html I always thought you needed to use fresh seeds.
I got my Kashmiri chillies from Spices of India, there's loads of seeds when you open them up. I really hope this method works as I love the flavour of Kashmiri's.

Cheers,
Ken

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 09:43 PM »
I presume Kashmiri may just be the name used in the Asian grocers in Britain?

Quite possibly.  Certainly Dr J S Pruthi makes no mention of the term in his 1973 "Spices and Condiments".  However, one thing that he does report may well bear on the reputation of Kashmiri chillies as being both an intense, saturated, red and at the same time relatively mild : "Recently, successful attempts have been made at the IARI, New Delhi, to obtain induced chilli mutants containing high pungency or capsaicin content but low carotenoid pigments that are also high-yielding.  This will facilitate the extraction of capsaicin from such yellow or cream-coloured chillies since otherwise red pigments do interfere and delay its extraction".

** Phil.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 10:14 PM »
Thanks Phil and Garabi Army!

I'm gonna follow that method too! my plan is to grow coriander, kashmiri chillies and peppers, but I'll start with the kashmiri chillies :-)

Offline markh3565

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 10:32 PM »
I've got loads of Kashmiri seeds PM me your address and I'll pop a handful in the post, grew a load last year and dried a big bag full.

They defo grow from dried seeds as thats how I started my first batch

Anyhow I've not posted for months, just too busy at work you know how it goes.

Cheers

Mark
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:08 AM by markh3565 »

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 09:52 AM »
I've got loads of Kashmiri seeds PM me your address and I'll pop a handful in the post, grew a load last year and dried a big bag full.

They defo grow from dried seeds as thats how I started my first batch

Anyhow I've not posted for months, just too busy at work you know how it goes.

Cheers

Mark
Would you send some to Germany ? I can return the favour with some of our local specialties (anything customs allows).

©2024 Curry Recipes