Author Topic: Kashmiri chillies  (Read 29993 times)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Kashmiri chillies
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 10:54 AM »
I wonder if kashmiri chillies are smokeable?

I would think so yes, but I'd question why you'd want to. Just get some smoked paprika, it will do essentially the same thing.

Chipotle is basically just smoked dried jalapeno's.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 10:58 AM »
I wonder if kashmiri chillies are smokeable?

I would think so yes, but I'd question why you'd want to. Just get some smoked paprika, it will do essentially the same thing.  Chipotle is basically just smoked dried jalapeno's.

"Smokable" : capable of being inserted into a cigarette paper, pipe,  hookah, etc., then lit and inhaled. Don't even think of it : I once accidentally burned ground chillies in a little cottage called Tiplog near Ambleside in the Lake District.  The fumes are beyond belief, and I think it took almost half an hour before I could breathe normally again.

** Phil.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 11:34 AM »
Sorry guys, I should have added the at the end of my phrase... :)

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Many thanks, Mark. When I arrived home today there was a nice little plastic bag with the seeds waiting for me :)

Offline Donstu

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2020, 09:28 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site.. Wow, I didn't know you could grow them from store bought Dry Chillies, when is the best time to sow them?

Hi Tempest

I have grown chilli plants from dried chillies so pop along o your local Indian shop and buy some dried chillies......simples tskkkkk!!!!

regards

fridgedoc

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2020, 02:55 AM »
Hi and welcome Donstu.

Spring or possibly very late winter if you can protect them.

Your success rate may vary depending upon several factors.  I have been planting Indian variety chilli seeds recently, including Kashmiri from both bought seed and also seed from dried Indian Grocery whole chilli.  My germination success rate is low even though I've planted in early spring in an enclosed hot house on a heat mat and I'm in Australia Zone 4 (Temperate). 

So far only 3 seeds from the whole dried chillis have germinated and 2 of those were eaten off by what I think I found to be a tiny leaf-hopper. The other died from damping off I think.  One of the eaten plants is still alive and green believe it or not with only the tiniest piece of leaf left, but it has just stopped growing so I don't hold a lot of hope for it.  I've just planted another 20 seeds so I'll see how it goes this time.

From the seeds that I actually bought as Kashmiri seed my success rate is also low.  I have only 1 healthy seedling from 6 seeds.  I have again planted a few more of these as well just yesterday.  Both types of seed have taken at least 3 weeks to germinate so be patient.

If you buy a big bag you will have plenty of seed so plant heaps and cross your fingers.  You may have better success than me.

I have a few successful Rajah, 1 Pusa Jwala and 1 Mettupalayam that are just hanging on, 4 small Lal Mirch that may kick off and no success with my Byadagi so far.

I've just moved all my smaller seedlings back into the hothouse yesterday as we are presently being slammed by bad weather and torrential rain.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2020, 08:28 PM »
After many hours of reading all I have found so far, it would appear that "Kashmiri Chilli" as we know it is not as described. Kashmiri Chilli, Kashmiri Mirch, Deggi / degi / degchi mirch, or whatever else it may labelled, when you buy Kashmiri Chilli, you are probably not getting chilli that has any connection to Kashmir.

What you are probably buying (and growing) is chilli grown in the Karnakata region and more specifically from Byadgi / Byadagi.   It is common practice to name chilli in India by region where they are grown.  Chilli grown in the region may not even be all exactly the same.

So I have plants growing at the moment that are from seed from whole dried "Kashmiri" chilli, bought Kashmiri Chilli seed and Byadagi chilli seed (both of which could be anything or probably / possibly the same) and Lal Mirch, which literally translates to Red Chilli.  As well, I have Rajah and who knows what it is?  In India, it would appear that the variety is of little value.  The things that matter are the characteristics.

Have a look at some of the youtube videos of the Byadgi / Byadagi chilli markets. Amazing footage of Indian ladies sitting cross-legged hand cleaning and sorting millions of dried red chillis while men fill hessian sacks by hand, foot and body.  The appraisal system of inspection by buyers is quite odd. Handfuls are grabbed, squeezed and thrown around in some sort of ritual to ascertain quality and determine market value.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2020, 09:00 AM »
They are laughing at us and anybody selling "Kashmiri Chilli" is a fraudster unless it actually comes from Kashmir.   You are not going to buy it anywhere outside Kashmir.  Have a look at the website of the Indian Spice Board (Government Department) site.  There are about 5 or 6 different varieties of Chilli from around as many regions that make up nearly the total trade of Chillies in India.  Some of them are geo-tagged with a number to identify the region they are grown and the variety.  It is called the GI (Geographical Indication) number.  Not surprisingly Kashmiri Chilli does not appear to have one.

Chilli powder, no matter what you think you are getting is a blend of at least 2 varieties. They are made specifically to suite the buyer's need.  The term "Kashmiri Chilli" does not apply to Chilli from Kashmir or any other specific region.  Chillies in India have several different specifications and there is no correlation to what you buy and what it says on your packet other than the fact that it comes from India. 

Now go and have a look at the websites of the major "accredited" marketers. They all use the exact same descriptions for their Chilli products.  Exact same.

Don't take my word for it.  Have a look.  Teja S17, Sannam 334 / S4 / S10, Byadgi 668, DD, etc, etc.

There is so much disinformation and contradictory claims it is amusingly funny when you start to look into it.

I could make Corn Whiskey in my shed but I can't call it Kentucky Bourbon. Even Jack Daniels is Tennessee Whiskey. Not Kentucky Bourbon.  But apparently you can sell Chillies from anywhere in India and call it Kashmiri.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2021, 12:19 AM »
What exactly is a Kashmiri Chilli?  We will never know!  There are 2 distinctly different and completely contradictory "descriptions".  There are so many "experts" and bloggers out there who are putting up information on the web that it is now just completely confused.  Even authorities don't appear to know exactly, but I think I'd be going with their information rather than the "foody experts" who appear to be parroting each other.

The first line is that they are mild, bright red chillis used mainly for colour and they are grown in the region of Kashmir and surrounding areas.  They apparently have low heat and mild pungency, but then there are also market descriptions of them that give Capsaicin levels as higher than the possible substitutes (see following).

The second line is that they don't actually come from Kashmir but are instead Byadgi / Byadagi / Beggi chillis that are grown in Karnataka, (or any other chillis obtained from anywhere in India that have the required mild and colorful qualities).  They don't even know how to spell the name of the town Byadagi / Byadgi, and most bloggers cover themselves by using both.  Even Google maps has used both, which makes you wonder if they are 2 different names or just confusion.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Byadagi,+Karnataka+581106,+India/@14.6772186,75.4660748,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3bb9648133b3b745:0x6f90ae5ef5373fad!8m2!3d14.6814129!4d75.4869033

There is directly contradictory information about both and even Indian Government websites concerning Primary Industries and chilli growing and distribution is unclear.  I have done hours and hours of reading and researching and the 2 different and opposite explanations produce a glaring anomaly.   Even the Government chilli growing and marketing authority information has a disclaimer that says their information does not reflect the position of the Indian Government. Say what???  Only in India!!

I have recently purchased 2 different 1 kg bags of Whole Dried Kashmiri Chilli and the chillis that come in the bags are completely different is shape, size and colour.  I'm yet to have a nibble to test the flavor and heat level.  So far only seed from 1 packet has germinated and I still have only 1 plant growing from the batch I already had here in my pantry, (again different in appearance).

The fact is that with these 2 contradictory ideas, no one will ever be certain what the Kashmiri Chilli in the packet actually is.

The other interesting thing is that it is reported that some less scrupulous chilli grinders add wood pulp. Probably best to buy whole and grind your own.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2021, 09:27 PM »
Just as a bit more to add here.  Early last year a seed supplier was able to provide me with one pack of Kashmiri Chilli seed after I made specific inquiry.  They have since been out of stock.  I waited till late winter to plant them.  From this pack, I have ended up with only 1 plant which is now very healthy, about half a meter tall and has several green pods.  The plant itself is a lighter green than most of the other varieties I have.

Yesterday I noticed a small insect hole in a pod that had begun to brown around the hole, so to avoid risk of disease I removed the pod.  It could be a true Kashmiri Chilli or at the very least conform to the low heat description. I tasted it and in the green / unripe stage there is zero heat or pungency.  Even chewing the seeds and placenta tissue had zero chilli sting.  In fact it was pretty much flavourless other than being like a green capsicum.

I now have 3 different types of Kashmiri Chilli plants from differently sourced seed including this one I've just discussed.  I also have the survivor of decapitation from the seeds of the whole dried chilli I had in my pantry.  It is still clinging to life and finally growing slowly. I have not been able to germinate another seed from this batch.  I also have the newly bought 1 kg whole dried pack (Selco brand) which is proving very easy to germinate and I have about 60 seedlings already.  The other brand I bought 1 kg whole dried (Athira) has zero germination so far but I'll keep trying.

It will be very interesting to make comparisons between the 3 different varieties, all supposedly Kashmiri, and also to compare them to the other Indians I have, particularly the Byadgi/Byadagi/Beggi, which some people claim is what we are actually buying as Kashmiri.

©2024 Curry Recipes