Author Topic: Indian Shepherd's Pie (Anjum Anand recipe)  (Read 9825 times)

Offline FFCcottage

• Chef
    • View Profile
Indian Shepherd's Pie (Anjum Anand recipe)
« on: January 03, 2010, 10:08 AM »
 :P Indian Shepherd's Pie (Anjum Anand recipe)

I had been meaning to write a recipe for an Indian Shepherd's Pie for a long time, so
when I decided to include some typical Anglo-Indian recipes from the Raj in this book,
I knew this was the time to do so. This recipe is inspired by the dishes of Kolkata-this
was the capital of India and the British government was based there. Whilst I am not sure
if shepherd's pie was ever one of their dishes, they ate many that were similar. Leftover
meats were often minced and spiced and either rolled into pancakes and deep-fried or
encased in mashed potato, then crumbed and fried. I used these flavours as guidelines
and got creative. By the time I had finished, the dish had become more Indian and less
Anglo, but still really delicious.

Serves 6

4 tbsp vegetable oil
3 black cardamom pods
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
10g fresh ginger, peeled
6 cloves of garlic peeled
1 tbsp ground coriander
1/4-1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
salt, to taste
450g lamb mince
150ml lamb or chicken stock
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
50g butter
250ml milk (for a richer dish, substitute cream for some of the milk)
700g potatoes, boiled whole, skinned and mashed
3 handfuls of frozen peas

Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan, add the cardamom pods and cook for 30 seconds. Add the onion and
cook until golden brown. Meanwhile, using a blender, make a fine paste of the ginger and garlic, adding a good
splash of water. Add to the pan with all the spices and salt. Cook for 1 minute, then add the lamb; brown over a
moderate heat for 6 minutes.

Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow
to cool and remove the black cardamom pods. There should be a little liquid still left in the pan.

Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/gas mark 4

Heat the butter and milk (with the cream, if using) in a pan until hot, season well and stir in the mashed potatoes.
Stir lightly and quickly to incorporate, then check and adjust the seasoning and remove from the heat.

Stir the peas into the lamb and place in an ovenproof dish. Top with the potatoes. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes
or until hot and bubbling. Let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.

©2024 Curry Recipes