Author Topic: A Novel and Interesting BIR Curry Cooking Technique  (Read 21408 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: A Novel and Interesting BIR Curry Cooking Technique
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 09:48 AM »
whether it differs and, if so, how...... ;

CA,

it clearly does differ.

i've not tried what is being suggested. i have tried much in terms of technique.

i've recently been trying to think where my gaps are (to BIR). this is not one of them (for me). 

in short - i've hit a wall (and probably a few others have too) - will this really bridge our remaining gaps.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 02:32 PM »
will this really bridge our remaining gaps.

Maybe, maybe not Jerry.  I suppose it depends on the individual and their perceived "gaps".  Nevertheless, as I understand it, this is the method used by a real BIR chef from a real BIR. 

I have also tried it and it produces decent tasting BIR curries.  As such, I'm sure many members would be keen to replicate the results.  I feel that it's worthy of further exploration/discussion/debate accordingly.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 06:52 PM »
CA,

we should collectively write a book on our exploits - it would sell for sure.

i can't get my blinkers off on this one. i think that malik vindaloo video has sent me down the sceptic helter skelter and i've not reached the bottom yet.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 06:43 AM »
I would agree. Its all about what you are trying to achieve, and whether this brings you closer, or further away. For me, it was closer.

Regarding the "slowboat" technique, I question this for many of the same reasons why I asked why the chilli is added later to the liquid base. The single biggest breakthrough for me in BIR cookery (other than use of a base) was the importance of spice frying. Kinda flies against the slowboat technique, not that that cannot produce a great result - I admit I have not tried it.

If the new technique specified "add the spices after the second lot of base", then I would compare it with the slowboat. I need to do some more experimenting. The biggest problem with experimentation is doing so when you are already getting good results...

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 09:38 AM »
Josh,

an explanation on my journey might help on my blinkers.

after joining the site i spent months perfecting the hot frying technique ie toffee. the SnS and BE posts got me onto trying the slowboat approach. so did the malik web cam. spottymaldoon was however my saviour getting me to realise the importance of emulsification (the oil & spice frying trials). parker's camping stove, CA's burner and robust discussion in the myth's convinced me to invest in kw's. i then spent months following CA's instructions yet failing miserably. i still can't fathom out the why but matter's not.

as u say experimentation has it's limits of endurance

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Edited by CA:

Mick's/Taz's Curry Base Gravy can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4163.0

Mick's/Taz's Mix Powder can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4164.0

Mick's/Taz's Dopiaza recipe can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4165.msg37738#msg37738

Posts relating to these topics have been moved the the relevant thread above.  I hope this makes things clearer rather than more confusing!  :P
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:09 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 07:41 PM »
What wonderful posts AchMal.
Thank you very much indeed.  ;D

I don't see anything strange in this at all to be honest. That's the way I prefer to cook so I can monitor and taste stuff. I know it wouldn't work in a restaurant but hang on a minute why not? All we see is Chinese style flash frying on videos yet the traditional way is just about spot on with your post.

My meals over here are usually not that saucy which is a pity which again makes me look at your post with some interest frankly. I don't have any base left and I'm getting goat I hope soon so this will be my very first stop into cooking again.

Nice one.  ;D

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:15 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Thanks a lot Mick (Achmal) - this will give us something to talk about.

I'm now a Taz convert until I find something better and will be cooking one this evening.

Much appreciated  :D

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 08:27 PM »
Achmal, have i just read that you have a curry shed?? like a shed for cooking Curry!!.. in sted of somewhere of putting your lawn mower??

fascinated i am

and you got a bir chef cooking in there??

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 08:37 PM »
Achmal, have i just read that you have a curry shed?? like a shed for cooking Curry!!.. in sted of somewhere of putting your lawn mower??

fascinated i am

and you got a bir chef cooking in there??

Yes UB,
I have a 12 x 8 feet shed that I have set up as a kitchen where I can cook curries whenever I want, I have too much stuff to keep in the household kitchen,
I had a friend visit who is equally as curry mad as I am and I managed to persuade my local t/a chef to give us a demo of making his gravy and cooking us a curry,

If I knew how to post images on here you could see it,

Mick

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:33 PM by AchMal »

©2024 Curry Recipes