Author Topic: A Novel and Interesting BIR Curry Cooking Technique  (Read 21411 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: A Novel and Interesting BIR Curry Cooking Technique
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 06:48 PM »
That is one awesome tandoor and the brick work looks great for a non brickie. How long ago did you build this and how has it worked out after use?

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 07:27 PM »
Mick,

That's simply fantastic, where did you get the info on building the Tandoor?

Thanks Axe,
There are different types of home build tandoor ideas on the net, it was seeing some of these ideas and seeing "real" tandoors in restaurant kitchens that made me realise that a good sized upturned pot with the base removed would do the trick,
The pot sits on a firebrick base with a vermiculite concrete insulation,

Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 07:44 PM »
That is one awesome tandoor and the brick work looks great for a non brickie. How long ago did you build this and how has it worked out after use?

Thanks Stephen,
I built this at the back end of last summer and it was used several times before the weather turned,
I use whats sold at my local Asian cash and carry as Restaurant Charcoal, it works out at about 3.50 quid per session,
I fire it up and leave it for a couple of hours, this ensures it reaches its highest temperature which in turn burns off any soot on the pot from the initial lighting,
It is literally too hot to work with before this time, there is no way you can put your arm in to stick a naan to the side, it is certainly hot enough to sit a wok over the top and cook a curry,
The pot cracked as expected but this causes no issues, I use a metal plate/tin as a heat baffle, the skewers stand in this, all I can say is the tikka, skeek kebabs and naan are excellent,
Once you have had a couple of goes of learning the ropes on its use, it really is fun,

Mick

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 11:24 PM »
a good sized upturned pot with the base removed would do the trick

Mick - do you mean a standard (allbeit large) terracotta pot from a garden centre?

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 07:16 AM »
a good sized upturned pot with the base removed would do the trick

Mick - do you mean a standard (allbeit large) terracotta pot from a garden centre?

Yes Stephen,
I looked for one large enough that had the right shape,
It cost about 30 quid but worth it,

Mick

©2024 Curry Recipes