Author Topic: Consistency of a curry  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Consistency of a curry
« on: January 06, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Hey guys!

Looking at pictures of my curries makes me think that perhaps I make them too thick. Any opinions on that?

I notice certain members like their sauce substantially thinner E.g. CA and SnS, and others like their sauce thinner and in far greater abundance, E.g.  UB. who has more sauce in his curry images than most of us.

What in your eyes is the best consistency? Are the differences down to regional variation or personal preference?

I know I like my sauce to sort of sit on a fork, rather than be too runny, however I'm going to try changing to thinner sauce in future to see what I think.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Consistency of a curry
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 10:09 PM »
Hi
Very much on a traditional bent, dry with bread and wet with rice. Never worked out the half chips
,half rice though!
Regards

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Hi Bobby,  :) I prefer my curry to sit on the fork also. I try to achieve a chutney consistency. I don't like a dry curry, or too much sauce but somewhere in the middle.

regards... mike

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:15 AM »
I like my sauces to be thicker rather than thinner, akin to a yoghurt type consistency. I hate seeing a plate of curry with watery sauce running through the rice.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:44 AM »
I think it largely depends on the type of curry BB.  For instance, a Bhuna (as I'm sure you know) is meant to be a cooking technique resulting in a dryish curry with little sauce. 

Other than that, I think it's personal preference (doh, I hate that expression!  ::))  I generally like a lot of sauce to mop up with the rice and naan.

My view is that many curries that members make, from the pictures I've seen posted here, seem way too thick.  I say this, not only from the viewpoint of my own preference, but also from what I generally have had from BIRs.  But provided that's what members personally like....

I think it also depends on the type of meat used in the curry.  For instance, I prefer my prawns curries to be thinner than my meat curries....not sure why though!...possibly cos you can then taste the prawns more?   Dunno..  :P

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 07:03 AM »
I like lots of sauce. Not so much where you can pick it up on a fork, but where you can get "some" on a fork, and the rest runs between the tines.

I do however like a drier curry from time to time, which is when I opt for a bhuna. Actually with some experimentation, really any curry can be made into a bhuna (thick) just by boiling out excess water to your desired consistency.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 07:55 PM »
Probably 8 - 10 chunks of Meat then the rest of a normal T/A container filled with Curry Sauce  ( Madras Hot  ;D ) I like the Sauce smooth without bits in it and about the consistency of Ketchup.

©2024 Curry Recipes