Author Topic: Mick's/Taz's Curry Base Gravy  (Read 119132 times)

Offline onion

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mick's/Taz's Curry Base Gravy
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2011, 02:56 PM »
I have just finished making this base. I have to say it looks great, it's a nice orangy colour with a pleasant aroma, a mild taste with a good flavour. It's the first time I have had the oil seperate from the base like this, I have used this amount of oil before yet I did not get anywhere near the seperation.

At the second stage of simmering the blended sauce, a few spots of oil began to appear, I removed it from the heat, and whilst cooling the rest of the oil just came to the surface.

I have made the mix powder, got my Kashmiri chill powder, got beer and on Friday I am gonna be up to my nuts in curry, can't wait!

Martin.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2011, 08:48 PM »
HI, All

I made this base to spec and also done the madras hot dopiaza tonight. I used Razors spice mix (which for me is the best i have used).

the finished dish( thats what it is all about was definatley restraunt standard). I do define restraunt standard by if i was getting it served would i enjoy and return. in this case yes.

the method was not what i am used too but was really easy to do, only thing it took at least 15 mins longer than the usual method.

positives:-

easy to make

despite the initial high oil content in the base the finished dish is upto a third oil content less than the original method of frying the spices in the initial stage.

main thing for me is the fact that you are creating a spice oil as you make this base.

fool proof in the way you dont over fry spices.(done it so many times)

good quality finished dish.

negatives:-

longer too cook dish

errrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmm no more negatives!!!

hope this helps

Alan ;D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2011, 08:57 PM »
Glad you had success moonster. I have the made a Madras with this base four times now and they are definitely of restaurant standard. Am now experimenting with different dishes using this base and every one has been a winner.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2011, 08:58 PM »
HI, All

I made this base to spec and also done the madras hot dopiaza tonight. I used Razors spice mix (which for me is the best i have used).

the finished dish( thats what it is all about was definatley restraunt standard). I do define restraunt standard by if i was getting it served would i enjoy and return. in this case yes.

the method was not what i am used too but was really easy to do, only thing it took at least 15 mins longer than the usual method.

positives:-

easy to make

despite the initial high oil content in the base the finished dish is upto a third oil content less than the original method of frying the spices in the initial stage.

main thing for me is the fact that you are creating a spice oil as you make this base.

fool proof in the way you dont over fry spices.(done it so many times)

good quality finished dish.

negatives:-

longer too cook dish

errrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmm no more negatives!!!

hope this helps

Alan ;D

Hi

Great review! - Posts like this will surely encourage more people to try this method, which is a winner!

Also, don't be put of by the perceived increase in cooking time, this is likely only an uncertainty issue with a new recipe / method. Having now used this several times myself you will get more confident and cook faster and hotter when your confidence and familiarity increase - then the time increase is negligible!

Regards

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2011, 09:59 PM »
i would agree it makes a good curry but i disagree when saying its STILL NOT the missing ingredient for me - used and made this base a few times now - the search goes on ....

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2011, 07:17 PM »
I've been eager to try this for ages
The  base has a citrus aroma, which comes from the blended coriander seeds
Quite different to any base, I have managed to buy
So, something new!
I decided to make the Chicken Tikka Dopiaza recipe, except I hadn't any tikka, so I used deep fried paneer
I've been getting quite a bit of paneer curries lately, I really like it
Mick's recipe produces a restaurant quality curry
A very moorish flavour
I used the Taz spice mix, too
Now THAT is a very nice blend
When I was reducing the gravy and spices, there was a very familiar aroma
I remembered this, from a takeaway I used to visit, four years ago
Excellent stuff, thanks Mick & Taz
I would love to hear more of these recipes
Thank you

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2011, 09:04 PM »
Cheers Haldi,
I'm really pleased you have had such a good result
Mick

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2011, 10:15 AM »
Mick's recipe produces a restaurant quality curry

I thought you were totally sorted (i.e. able to exactly replicate your local BIR curries) by using used oil (but not oil that had been used for frying fish) Haldi?

How do you think Mick's/Taz's recipes compare to those?

Quote from: Haldi
I used the Taz spice mix, too
Now THAT is a very nice blend

Isn't it very similar to many others here (e.g. Bruce Edward's, IG's, Dipuraja's, LB's, Derek Dhansak's, Secret Santa's, Rajver's, etc)?

Have you tried those too?  How do you think this one differs from those?

What would you say is the thing that differentiates Taz's base and method from many others here?  Is it better, in your opinion?

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2011, 11:10 AM »
Hi CA,

since i have been using this base i have produced the best curries i have ever made  from replicating recipes on this site, yours included.

the big difference for me is the spice inducing in the first reduction with no fear of over cooking the spices i believe you are getting the maximum taste from the spice mix.

another theory is that it takes away the need to use a spiced or used oil.

I know i am getting better and stronger tasting final dishes using this reduction method.

for example i love your ceylon recipe and have made it several times using your base and spice mix, but since i changed to the Taz base i believe it has taken your recipe to a new level.

Alan ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Hi Moonster,

since i have been using this base i have produced the best curries i have ever made  from replicating recipes on this site, yours included

That's great to hear  8)

the big difference for me is the spice inducing in the first reduction with no fear of over cooking the spices i believe you are getting the maximum taste from the spice mix

That's interesting.  Two points spring to my mind (although I accept your assessment):

a)  this (Mick's/Taz's) method is not what most BIRs do.  Why not?

b)  if it's down to the amount of oil in the base, what would happen if you added more oil to other bases, and thereafter followed Taz's method (i.e. not pre-frying the spices in oil)?

another theory is that it takes away the need to use a spiced or used oil

Perhaps.  But ditto "b)" above?

I know i am getting better and stronger tasting final dishes using this reduction method

I find that interesting as I got a pretty bland result (using Taz's base, spice mix and method).  In fact, so much so that I, thereafter, only used it (in order to use it) in "slow cooked" meat curries. 

Undoubtedly I was cooking it all wrong....and probably need to revisit it.......

©2024 Curry Recipes