Author Topic: Mick's/Taz's Curry Base Gravy  (Read 119857 times)

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mick's/Taz's Curry Base Gravy
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2011, 01:04 PM »
CA

the method may not be used in BIR as it does take longer to produce the finished dish due to the 1st reduction.

i am sorry to hear that you thought it was bland CA it may be due to taz's spice mix. I wouldnt know because i have never used his spice mix i use either yours or razors spice mix in all my currys.

the importance for me when using the taz method is all in the frst reduction. I now personally take it right down until it is a thick paste.

I have noticed a difference in taste for the better when i have reduced it to this level.

I suppose you could add more oil to individual base recipes and use the taz method. I might just do that and see what results it brings

regards

Alan ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:16 PM by moonster »

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2011, 02:40 PM »
Now revived from a curry lull by the ABC curry fest' week i've just had, i'm keen to crack on. I like the idea of the basics of this base but my main reason for trying this particular recipe is to try the reduction process. I have inadvertently done this in the past when making dopiza, more so becuase I have taken my eye of the pan only to return to find it over reduced. ::) But have always enjoyed the result. Of course, I didn't start with base and then reduce as the this method does, I started in the usual way, frying of spices then adding base.

I do have a couple of question/thoughts though.

In consideration of the base itself, does anyone feel that the extra oil has an affect on the finished base (taste, cooking of spices etc.), other than to be used in the reduction process?

I ask because if there is no other effect, then surely you could perform the reduction process in the same way with any base by adding oil and base to the pan together in the final dish rather than in the base?

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2011, 03:19 PM »
Axe,

I do think the method makes a difference as opposed to the frying of spices method.

I say this because in essence the base sauce is not much different to razors in terms of ingrediants other than the additional oil.

i am a big fan of Rays base as i have used it many times, but this method does give me that bit extra when doing the same recipes.

the oil residue on your plate also looks like it would from a BIR.

Alan ;D

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2011, 06:50 PM »
I thought you were totally sorted (i.e. able to exactly replicate your local BIR curries) by using used oil (but not oil that had been used for frying fish) Haldi?

I don't like the idea of using really old oil
But it does give a fantastic result, 100% of a takeaway I know
How do you think Mick's/Taz's recipes compare to those?
There are quite a few different flavoured BIR's near me
This is very like one I sometimes use

Quote from: Haldi
I used the Taz spice mix, too
Now THAT is a very nice blend

Isn't it very similar to many others here (e.g. Bruce Edward's, IG's, Dipuraja's, LB's, Derek Dhansak's, Secret Santa's, Rajver's, etc)?
Along with the base it gives a really nice aroma, just like some of the places I have been.
I think it's the greater proportion of turmeric in the mix
Have you tried those too?  How do you think this one differs from those?

What would you say is the thing that differentiates Taz's base and method from many others here?  Is it better, in your opinion?
I don't think I realised the importance of the base reduction
I reported lots of times,how the chef's pan was almost dry when the curry was being cooked.
This is the Taz method, I've seen
For me this is a real breakthrough
I've cooked like it by accident and not known why a curry had gone so right.

Doing it intentionally, is part of becoming professional

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2011, 08:42 PM »
Haldi,

100% agree with everything you say.

i was thinking today, i do wonder if this method was used in the 70's when demand wasn't so high. It did seem that you had to wait longer for your mains.

food for thought for me, maybe the fast food era has lead to BIR frying the spices in the early stage for quickness.

I could be wrong but the reduction method achieves what i have been used to from the 70's and 80's.

Alan ;D 

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2011, 10:42 PM »
I too have been impressed by how intense reducing the first batch of base makes the curry. It's such a simple technique but if you think about how restaurants reduce a stock or sauce to concentrate flavours then there are clearly parallels with this base.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2011, 09:34 AM »
Hi Moonster,

Thanks for the reply, I don't think I explained myself properly. What I meant to ask was whether it would be possible to perform the Taz reduction using another base recipe by adding oil and base together in the pan before any spices are added?

Having watched the video that Mick posted, I think I have answered my own question to a degree. It has certainly highlighted for me, the importance of reducing and techniques for doing this. Not something that I had looked at previously.

Offline Naith

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2011, 02:27 AM »
Can I ask if it's possible to use ground Cumin & Coriander instead of the seeds?  If so, what quantity would I use?

Many thanks

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2011, 01:22 PM »
This was discussed in the Madras 2011 and if I recall correctly, you can use powder in place of seed and only need to adjust the quantity of coriander seed to 1 tbls of ground.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:14 PM by Axe »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2011, 05:07 PM »
Can I ask if it's possible to use ground Cumin & Coriander instead of the seeds?  If so, what quantity would I use?

Many thanks

Yup I've made the base with the reduced quantities as Axe mentions and it works fine.

©2024 Curry Recipes