Author Topic: Mick's/Taz's Curry Base Gravy  (Read 119932 times)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Mick's/Taz's Curry Base Gravy
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Can I ask if it's possible to use ground Cumin & Coriander instead of the seeds?  If so, what quantity would I use?

Many thanks

Yup I've made the base with the reduced quantities as Axe mentions and it works fine.

Naith - welcome to the forum. You asked a good question and it's a shame that one of our members used the slightly arrogant and dismissive prefix "yup" when making his response, like it was a bit of a dumb question.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2011, 05:37 PM »
Can I ask if it's possible to use ground Cumin & Coriander instead of the seeds?  If so, what quantity would I use?

Many thanks

Yup I've made the base with the reduced quantities as Axe mentions and it works fine.

Naith - welcome to the forum. You asked a good question and it's a shame that one of our members used the slightly arrogant and dismissive prefix "yup" when making his response, like it was a bit of a dumb question.

George, George.... Maybe it's me but I fail to understand how anybody other than yourself can take offence to Stephen's answer to Naith's question.
What difference would it have made if he had started his response with.. Yup,Yep, Yeah, Yes or Aye...? He answered the question resonably as far as I am concerned.

I have to ask what you get out of your high and mighty, holier than thou and at times superior attitude?

Yes Naith, welcome to the forum.

Mick

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Thanks for your support Mick!

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2011, 07:00 PM »
Quote from: Curry Barking Mad link=topic=4163.msg55398#msg55398

George, George.... Maybe it's me but I fail to understand how anybody other than yourself can take offence to Stephen's answer to Naith's question.
What difference would it have made if he had started his response with.. Yup,Yep, Yeah, Yes or Aye...? He answered the question resonably as far as I am concerned.

I'm sorry if I'm the only one who finds the use of that term somewhat arrogant, dismissive, high and mighty. I just looked up definitions and can't find anything beyond confirmation that yup = yes. I still reckon it's used mainly by people with the above traits
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:44 PM by George »

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2011, 07:20 PM »
 quote from BAMBI said by Thumper "if you don't have anything good to say don't say nothing at all!"
kind regards
gary

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2011, 07:39 PM »
Just found this :o

Yup is a generic term of agreement issued often by a non-listening party, typically used while performing an additional important task, such as watching tv.

If you are the yupper, by yupping someone, you are not bound in any sense by your agreement, since you didn't hear what it was you were agreeing to. If you are later asked to perform the task, you then have the option to admit that you had yupped the person and ignore the task, or pretend that you had really listened & just go along with the yuppee.

If you are the yuppee, and you recognize that you are being yupped, you can call the yupper's actions & state "you're yupping me" or "I'm being yupped", whereupon the yupper may admit the yupping action and feel mild embarrassment, but there will be no permanent damage.

yupping, being yupped, yupper, yuppee are all derived from the root 'yup'

Woman: Oh I got some great shoes at the mall, do you like them dear?
Man (watching tv): yup
Woman: so we're going to go back later, are you coming with us?
Man (watching tv): : yup
*2 hours later*
Woman: ok, let's go
Man: where?
Woman: to the mall? you said you'd come with me later?
Man - option 1: oh, I was just yupping you, I'm staying here
Man - option 2: yea that's right, let me grab my coat

WHAT A LOAD OF OLD TWODDLE!

Yup, yeah, aye, all fine by me.  All those in agreement, say YUP

Rayup ;D

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2011, 07:47 PM »
I'm sorry if I'm the only one who finds the use of that term somewhat arrogant, dismissive, high and mighty. I just looked up definitions and can't find anything beyond confirmation that yup = yes. I still reckon it's used mainly by people with the above characteristics.
I think the statistics are against you, George.  I can think of only one person on this forum who could reasonably be described as being arrogant, dismissive, high and mighty, and as far as I can tell, that person has never once used the word "yup" other than when citing the words of others.

** Phil.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2011, 07:48 PM »
[quote author=Curry Barking Mad link=topic=4163.msg55398#msg55398

I'm sorry if I'm the only one who finds the use of that term somewhat arrogant, dismissive, high and mighty. I just looked up definitions and can't find anything beyond confirmation that yup = yes. I still reckon it's used mainly by people with the above characteristics.

I know in my heart of hearts I should just leave this alone now and virtually walk away shaking my head in disbelief but...
even though you can't find anything to support your point you still attack another member as arrogant, dismissive, high and mighty.  :o or is there another agenda?

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2011, 07:51 PM »
Yup is a generic term of agreement issued often by a non-listening party, typically used while performing an additional important task, such as watching tv.

Yes, that fits with my take. But, having made the point, I'll be happy to delete all the 'yup' related posts if all the contributors indicate their agreement.

I don't think the word 'yes' features in wedding vows but if it did, I'm sure the congregation would feel anyone using slang like 'yup' and 'yep' wasn't being sufficiently serious, with a touch of contempt. Maybe a jury would look down on, say, a police officer or anyone who used those words as a witness in court. Or perhaps I'd be eliminated from a Jury if lawyers realised the type of person I am.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2011, 08:38 PM »
Please do not delete this thread or any of its posts before 10:00 tomorrow. I need to print this out!

Makes me laugh out loud :) - There was me thinking this was a forum for curry lovers  :P

Thanks

EDIT: Yup  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes