Author Topic: Lasan chicken tandoori (from the F-Word)  (Read 80455 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lasan chicken tandoori (from the F-Word)
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2010, 08:56 PM »
I've tried the Lasan a couple of times.

For me the mustard oil and the black salt killed it. Both just sort of gross me out.

But I could also tell that a quality tikka was waiting underneath. I do intend to try it again. I will take SS suggestion of tempering the mustard oil to smoking and let cool. Hopefully that will kill the pungency.

But I'm still divided on the black salt. Does anyone have an opinion on what it adds? Any strong opinions on simply omitting it?

Thx,
Josh

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2010, 04:26 PM »
For me the mustard oil and the black salt killed it.

I couldn't agree more josh. The last time I used these ingredients was when I was cooking authentic Indian a very long time ago and that's where they should be left in my opinion. They have no or little place in the type of BIR cooking we strive for.

On the other hand if you've never tried the mustard oil when tempered that's worth a go as you may like it more that way, it takes the nasty edge off.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2010, 07:19 PM »
appreciate ea to there own - i'm still making it using mustard oil and black salt (have dropped the plain salt). i just use the mustard oil straight out the bottle. i can't see a mixture with rapseed being any good (for me anyhow).

i'm still using the lime juice in place of lemon dressing.

i use the mustard oil & lime juice in CA's tikka which i also continue to make.

never tried blades tikka.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Hi Jerry,

I use mustard oil in my mint sauce, straight from the bottle.  I have no problem with it.

As for Blades tikka, I can't believe what fantastic results it brings bearing in mind the lack of yogurt and very little marinating required.  You should give it a go Jerry, I think you'd enjoy the comparison with others.

Ray :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2010, 07:58 PM »
Razor,

will have to give it a go - just for interest - now i've got over my phobia of using the pataks stuff.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2010, 01:43 PM »
Hi,

I have just made this and found it to be brilliant, tasty & zingy.  I wish I made some more it is really nice!!.  I had to wait a long time to try it due to a mustard oil shortage around here but it was well worth the wait ;D

cheers

Will

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2010, 06:20 PM »
The use of mustard oil in it did suprise me as the bottles I have seen say for external use only.  Is there any bottles that say ok for food?  If you are not allowed to use it for food why are lasan using it?  Its probably some EU directive ::)
I was just about to answer "yes" (more than a little belatedly) when I thought to check the bottle : oops, it clearly says "for external use only".  Which makes me think two things : (1) this must be why my Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi tandoori chicken tasted so foul; and (2) there must be an edible version which is what I should have used in the first place !

** Phil.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2010, 06:28 PM »
No Phil,

You can't buy mustard oil in this country, EU, US, Australia etc. that does not say "for external use only". It has been discussed on here before.
Check out Wikipedia or similar for an explanation.

I use the KTC pure mustard oil.

Paul

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2010, 06:31 PM »
Thanks, Paul : yes, I wrote before reading to the end of the thread.  But it still won't stop me searching for "edible mustard oil" whenever I am in an Asian supermarket !

** Phil.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Hi
It's the same stuff,an EU labelling directive!
Regards

©2024 Curry Recipes