Author Topic: Lasan chicken tandoori (from the F-Word)  (Read 80456 times)

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Lasan chicken tandoori (from the F-Word)
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 09:23 PM »
Those huge breasts will be waiting for me when I get home.

Lucky you too ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 08:12 PM »
i've got this on the go at the mo.

what's the general consensus on it. i'm a tad sceptical that it's going to be much better than existing recipes other than for the mustard oil. the cumin/fennel ratio (4:1) is not sitting well.

i wish i'd made the marinade before adding to the chicken so i could have tasted it.

ps should tikka and tandoori marinades be the same - this recipe is for tandoori but does not seem that different to tikka.

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 09:05 PM »
You should find that it will be more moist, because of 'par boiling' it first.

I've made this twice, now, and have had better results thatI got with previous recipes.  Not hugely better, but better, all the same.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 07:14 AM »
pforkes,

thanks for thoughts.

i did not par boil first so will be interesting. i used the method that i normally do - stage 1 for me being just leave the meat in a bowl with red mild chilli (deggi), salt and lemon juice (i did use lime this time) for at least 1 hr.

the mustard oil is really ponging the fridge.

going to be interesting how it turns out.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 04:03 PM »
I am making this this weekend,  I think the parboiling it may make a difference.  Do you think it softens the chicken before the marination so more flavour gets into it?  I will look forward to hearing how yours turned out Jerry without the parboil.  Think the wife might get upset if it pongs the fridge out tho ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 08:42 PM »
Willyeckerslike,

u will need to "double bag it" (cling film then a carrier bag).

i always marinate for 3 days. i also cook my plain chicken (none tikka but using the ashoka marinade) by very quick par boil. so a tad sceptical whilst acknowledging the lasan must do it for some reason (i just can't fathom why).

will post on thursday how it turns out.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2010, 09:00 PM »
Hi
Par boiling the chicken will stiffen the meat plus flush(the scum stage of meat cooking).
Regards

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 07:28 AM »
commis,

many thanks for explanation. do u think the par boil would seal the meat slightly and lower the effect of the marinade.

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2010, 02:11 PM »
Remember, when par boiling you are cooking it with turmeric, chilli and salt, all of which are going to affect its flavour as well.
Really, this (in my opinion) is the most significant difference between how I had used to cook tandoori chicken, so by not using this step you're not going to get that difference.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2010, 06:40 PM »
pforkes,

i did leave out the turmeric but i left the fresh chicken in the salt, deggi and lime juice for 0.5 hr - this is normal practise for me although i normally use lemon juice (now dressing) and leave it for 3 hrs. this time i also added the ginger and garlic at the same time which i normally add in the 2nd stage.

i realise i've strayed away from the recipe but the existing method (i use) produces top notch result (tikka). i do parboil (~5 mins tops) the ashoka plain chicken (which is actually marinated) but i've felt in the past that the meat needs to marinade 1st.

if it don't work out then i will have to follow it to spec for sure. i thinking of a trip to the lasan so i'd really like it to work.

©2024 Curry Recipes