Author Topic: Lasan chicken tandoori (from the F-Word)  (Read 80023 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lasan chicken tandoori (from the F-Word)
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2010, 07:26 PM »
awesome. even my good lady felt it was very good.

there's a tad too much salt in it for my liking and the mustard oil can be reduced. other than that - speechless.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2010, 08:04 PM »
This looks bloody delish Jerry!  ;D
Well done....

I have the chicken in the freezer for the tandoori Ramsey style. We don't get chicken breasts with bones in them as a rule here so apart from me quartering one I doubt that will happen due to waste unless I use the whole bird which is different to the actual recipe.

Nice one. How did it taste? What wsa the biggest selling point on it please?

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2010, 10:54 PM »
I tried this too a few weeks back.

I too thought the tandoori flavour was excellent.

However, I did not gel with the mustard oil or the black salt. I think half of it was mental, as I thought both of these ingredients stunk. I'm pretty sure the black salt sulphur smell subsided in cooking, but I could definitely taste the mustard oil, which I did not like.

I will try again and swap mustard oil for veg, and maybe dim down the black salt a little.

Top notch recipe though.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2010, 07:15 AM »
How did it taste? What wsa the biggest selling point on it please?

very difficult to put in words. i make CA's tikka all the time and it's real good. this lasan recipe is very similar to CA's tikka. the difference is that the dish seems to come to life on u're taste buds. it also had something that put it on par with how my local TA's tikka tastes.

the black salt (actuallt pink in colour) and mustard oil are the 2 off ingredients i've not used before - i need to try them out individually to pin point what's making the difference. gut feeling says mustard oil.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2010, 10:12 AM »
They look great Jerry, I am just off to see if I can find some mustard oil now :-\.  Never seen any in the big supermarkets so I am off to the nearest Asian shop to see if they have any.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2010, 12:06 PM »
Hi

JM, to answer your own question, did the par boil effect the marination? also please what cut of chicken are you using, bone in or out? Mikka, you could always spatchcock a whole bird that would give a really impressive result.

Regards

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2010, 06:18 PM »

However, I did not gel with the mustard oil or the black salt.

I will try again and swap mustard oil for veg, and maybe dim down the black salt a little.

Top notch recipe though.

Hi Josh

Try heating the mustard oil to almost smoking, you'll know when, then allow it to cool and try it that way, the taste changes, it loses the pungency and gains a sort of sweetness, it's good in veggie dishes and dahls.

Cheers
CoR.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2010, 06:50 PM »
Try heating the mustard oil to almost smoking

Thanks for the pointer. I will try that next time.

I remember when I would smell the chicken as it sat in the marinade, I instantly would notice the mustard oil, and it wasn't pleasant.

Maybe doing as you suggest will take the edge off.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2010, 08:33 AM »
did the par boil effect the marination? also please what cut of chicken are you using, bone in or out?

i left out the par boil as it's not my normal method. the chicken tasted more tender than normal - i can't imagine it get's any better. i did leave it marinating for 4 days c/w my norm 3 days but i think the mustard oil had a big effect.

the chicken is breast (to make the "kids" teenagers happy) otherwise my preference would have been to make tandoori as opposed to tikka version. the chicken is from farm foods and is excellent. (ps switched from asda smart when farm foods started their 3 for 10 pounds offer and the meat is far far better).

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Jen and i had this last night, bloody good recipe and i'll be making it again, i couldn't have told the difference between this and the stuff from a restaurant.
I am going to use a little less salt next time and maybe cut down on the Chilli.
But all in all excellent.

©2024 Curry Recipes