Author Topic: Lasan chicken tandoori (from the F-Word)  (Read 80643 times)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Lasan chicken tandoori (from the F-Word)
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Tried this last night and it was superb. Didnt have any black salt or mustard oil so I used normal oil and omitted the extra salt altogether. The tandoori masala is plenty salty enough anyway. Didnt par cook it either - just left it marinating for 24hrs in the fridge in a zip seal bag and gave it all a bit of a massage whenever I had the fridge door open ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2010, 08:03 AM »
mickdabass,

how did it compare with u're norm.

i ask as i'm interested in what the black salt and mustard oil do (how much contribution compared to the rest of the recipe). i intend doing a side by side as some point.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2010, 09:53 AM »
Hi Jerry
Its now my personal favorite. Up till now its been blades recipe but personally I prefer the Lasan recipe although I cut a few corners as outlined previously. Marinated some lamb last night. It looks excellent - cant wait to try it. Will let u know how I get on
Regards
Mick

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2010, 08:03 AM »
Hi Jerry
Its now my personal favorite.

mickdabass

It took me by surprise too. CA's is my fav (not actually made blades) and intend to do an fword take on it (ie black salt, mustard, fennel) to see how it compares. the aim is to try and pin point what makes the difference. will let u know too.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2010, 12:22 PM »
Look forward to your results Jerry

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2010, 05:01 PM »
have got this test underway. i've made 1/2 portions of lasan, CA's and a test recipe.

the lasan is pretty much to spec (no std salt, no 1" ginger). CA's is changed by replacing normal salt with black salt (i also add a little tamerind and don't add the milk). i kept the oil unchanged as veg oil. the test is a sort of control using mustard oil and lime juice but no black salt or white pepper.

so far CA's tastes by far the best. the lasan tastes the worst.

i intend to leave overnight and taste again before adding the chicken.

ps the white blocks are frozen yogurt.

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Having done the Lasan version twice, I believe that the par-boiling steps is a crucial one, for the best texture and flavour...something it seems that many previously have missed out.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2010, 07:21 AM »
pforkes,

i think it's down to how long u marinade - the par boil perhaps works for short marinade (i've not tried) but if u're leaving it for 3 days u get real good result without par boil. i do par boil my non tikka chicken though (more like a quick simmer but after a 24hr marinade).

ps this was the best tikka i've tasted but made the same way as i always use.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2010, 07:31 AM »
Hi

Pforkes, Just a quick one having read this thread again I note that you said you placed the chicken in a pan with water. Was that cold water? because the recipe calls for blanching .

Regards

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2010, 05:19 PM »
You can see the exact steps that I currently use on this web page on my web site <http://www.peterforkes.com/PeterForkes/Recipes/TandooriChickenMasala.html>.

These pages on my web site are pretty much intended for my own use (it doesn't matter where I am I can always get access to my most recent set of steps for any given recipe), so the appropriate credits are not always given.  Any how, you can see how I'm doing it...come to think of it, I think maybe I'l do this one again this weekend!

©2024 Curry Recipes