Author Topic: Lasan chicken tandoori (from the F-Word)  (Read 80636 times)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Lasan chicken tandoori (from the F-Word)
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2010, 05:34 PM »
Hi

Pforkes thanks for that, like the site idea. we will all have to bookmark it so we can keep an eye on you!

Regards

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2010, 08:32 PM »
i tasted the 3 off sample tonight after 24hrs sitting in the fridge (no chicken in them at this point). they all tasted quite different and clearly down to ingredients. there was no clear winner.

on just this tasting i can't see why the lasan recipe is so good. i'm now a tad sceptical on the black salt and mustard being the magic - it could just be down to the rest of the ingredients working better together. i'm picking up the white pepper in the lasan sample.

ps they all now taste pretty naff - far too salty - u can't believe that tikka will come out at the end of the conveyor belt.

the samples are now in the fridge till monday night with an occasional stir.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2010, 08:48 PM »
Hi
JM, think the blanching is it. Cooked chicken with a lovely spicy coating?
Regards

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2010, 08:57 PM »
Hi Commis
I think it's duly down to the ingredients frankly. Yes do to your meat what you will? But at the end of the day it is what you taste?

Jerry you rock man. Excellent work.

Hi
JM, think the blanching is it. Cooked chicken with a lovely spicy coating?
Regards

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2010, 12:58 AM »
the lasan is pretty much to spec (no std salt, no 1" ginger). CA's is changed by replacing normal salt with black salt (i also add a little tamerind and don't add the milk). i kept the oil unchanged as veg oil. the test is a sort of control using mustard oil and lime juice but no black salt or white pepper.

I don't understand what it is you're trying to do here Jerry?  You've changed the "Lasan" recipe.  You've certainly changed mine beyond recognition (should I presume that you've also used some other tandoori masala rather than the one I specify?) and your "control"...well...what is it?  It's not a "control", at all, is it?

What is it you're trying to establish, exactly, and why have you made so many significant changes?

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2010, 11:12 AM »
I don't think I'd be too happy tasting the marinade complete with raw chicken before it is cooked.

Paul.

...Whoops I missed the bit where Jerry said he tasted them before adding the chicken.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:29 PM by PaulP »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2010, 08:13 AM »
CA,

i appreciate some people may feel i've changed your recipe by adding tamerind and not using milk. i feel it's still CA's recipe.

anyhow back to the question. i've made CA's tikka for ages now - i don't make anything else. it's simple brill as u know.

when i made the lasan it was quite different. hard to explain other than it seemed to come to life more than i've experienced before. i want to find out what caused this change. i would then add this "difference" into the CA recipe and then decide which i like best. i don't necessarily think the lasan as spec is the best but there is learning to be had.

the reason i've changed the lasan is that it was far too salty last time. i too am fan of using fresh ginger. i also know that using too much is not good. hence the reduction in the amount used in the lasan.

on the CA recipe i know u don't rate mustard oil so i restricted the changes to just black salt in place of cooking salt.

on the test recipe i used mustard oil and lime juice but no black salt.

i appreciate there are weaknesses in the approach but the results should help me further on identifying what this difference is. i may of course have to make more samples but that would be fine too.

if anyone can refine the approach to give a quicker result then i'm all in favour. we just need to find out what this difference is. white pepper has also crept up on the radar screen.

Offline billycat

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2010, 09:38 AM »
I have never known Jerry to recreate any dish to spec lol

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2010, 09:52 AM »
billycat,

u're 100% spot on. i tell u it was real torture not changing the Kushi recipes that Razor posted - worked out real well too and i was well pleased i managed not to tinker.

even with the tinkering i'm still a firm believer of making to spec 1st time and then only making changes very slowly over a period of time.

obviously not for everyone as u have to accept quite a few failures along the journey.

almost every recipe book i have has little adjustments marked so it's not just curry.

all the best.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2010, 12:32 PM »
Have you made this to spec Jerry?  I thought you missed out the parboil bit in the spices? Just wondered ;)
I am still looking out for mustard oil to try this, no luck yet :-\

Cheers

Will

©2024 Curry Recipes