Author Topic: Lasan chicken tandoori (from the F-Word)  (Read 79990 times)

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Lasan chicken tandoori (from the F-Word)
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 02:04 AM »
Damn!  This WAS good.

I'm not a big chicken tandoori fan (it's normally too dry for my liking) but this was moist and boy, the only way I can describe how it smells is F***ING AMAZING!

I cooked 8 of the 16 chicken thighs and although I wasn't that hungry this evening, I have already eaten 5 of them, and I know that later this evening I will finish off the remaining 3.

The meat itself was both moist and flavourful.  This is a definite improvement of any previous tandoori chicken I have cooked.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:12 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 03:02 AM »
pforkes - that does look very good! Can you compare it to any of the tandoori recipes off this site?

Which brings me to my next question - is there any difference between tikka and tandoori when it comes to marinade? Would this work for a tikka (breast chunks) marinade?

Oh, and can someone advise what "chicken supreme" is? Thighs?

-- Josh

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 03:43 AM »
pforkes - that does look very good! Can you compare it to any of the tandoori recipes off this site?

This is better than any chicken tandoori I have had before.

I don't recall having made chicken tandoori using any recipes on this board.

Give this one a try.  I was impressed and I'll be making this again, soon.  Specifically, this was VERY moist and VERY flavourful.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 06:50 AM »
Those look really good pforkes 8) nice colour.  I am going to have to give it a go when I find some mustard oil.

cheers

Will

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 10:31 AM »
looks lovley, i fuxing cant stand gordon ramsay but i have to give this recipe a go.

im assuming it will be just as good with diced chicken breast.

what the heck is black salt, never heard of it?

and mustard oil, is this available in the supermarkets?

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 11:27 AM »
Hi
Firstly Joshallen chicken supreme is a breast portion but to be more accurate is not a total breast but the lower half bone in with the wing trimmed but still attached. Some come as whole breast portions with wing trimmed though, it just depends on how critical you are. Willy and Jimmy mustard oil is normally stocked in the hair care section of Asian stores and black salt will be available to with the general groceries.

Regards

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 01:07 PM »
Very nice, and relatively easy too. Just a lot of waiting around for marinating. The next Madras I make, I think I will pre-cook cubes of chicken like this to go in.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 02:34 PM »
Hi Guy's

Just a note on mustard oil, this is readily available from Asian supermarkets.  The weird thing is, if you check the label on the back of the bottle, it will say "for external use only"  I did ask the shop owner about this and he said that it was fine for consumption, and that he uses it in his tandoori marinades. 

Just thought I would point that out incase you try looking for "edible mustard oil"

Ray

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 02:45 PM »
what the heck is black salt, never heard of it?

Here in Las Vegas Ihttp://www.SonaSpicesUSA.com was able to get black salt at the local Indian supermarket.

It's actually pinkish in colour.  The brand I bought was SONA (SONA Spices U.S.A. Inc.)
Their website is http://www.SonaSpicesUSA.com (though this probably isn't very helpful) and it's actually labelled "black salt powder" and came in a 7 oz bag.

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 03:07 PM »
The weird thing is, if you check the label on the back of the bottle, it will say "for external use only"

When I got home, I noticed that the 250 ml bottle I had bought said the same thing, bit I though 'what the heck?' and went ahead and used it.
The Indian supermarket where I bought mine also had 'virgin mustard oil' but since it was double the price, I opted for the cheaper option.  I may try the virgin version next time, as I used 200ml of the 250ml in the first batch (since I made 4 times the quantity).

©2024 Curry Recipes