Author Topic: Highly Recommended Restaurants in Glasgow - by Gazman1976  (Read 8793 times)

Offline EuanW

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Highly Recommended Restaurants in Glasgow - by Gazman1976
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 06:50 PM »
I'll throw some local knowledge into this....

Balbirs on Church Street in the west end. As mentioned, they don't use ghee. Restaurant is lovely, product is high quality. Usually have the Bhel Poori, tandoori salmon as starters and Parsi Chicken as a main course

Ranjits Kitchen Southside on the main drag at the very north end of Shawlands. This has a lot of buzz right now. Its small, run by a Pakistani family ( mother and daughters ) and does vegetarian fare. I've still not been but literally every person that I know that has, swears by it. Been meaning to go for aaaaages and its very near me.

Turban Tandoori in Giffnock next  to the train station. Been going there since I was a kid. Quite small and has the traditional feel. Again, quality product and service is great. Does my favourite Peschwari naan I've ever had. King Prawn Masaladar is my favourite curry going just about.

New Turban Tandoori in Giffnock at the roundabout. These two have existed side by side for as long as I can remember. Not quite sure on the dynamic between the two but I've heard various stories on splits, breakaways etc etc. Either way, this is excellent as well. I probably prefer the one at the station at a push but if your passing through the area you will like either option.

The Village in Tradeston. They have two premises here now. Strong long lasting reputation. I've been a handful of times and never disappointed. Some people swear by it.

The Dhabba in Merchant City. Bit of buzz due to locale, and done with a bit of pizazz and a fresh take. Been a good while since I was in, but the lamb on the bone dish I had was fantastic. I'm yet to visit the the sister restaurant across the road that does South Indian.

Shish Mahal in Woodlands road area. Oldest in Glasgow along with the Koh-I-Noor at Charing Cross. Traditional and solid. I saw the bad review somewhere else on this site. I've been maybe 10-15 times and its always been decent. Doesn't contain the wow factor of some of the others.

Some people swear by Mother India at Kelvingrove. I've never been.
I see Anarkali was mentioned. An ex girlfriends dad swore by it, calling it the best in the city. Only had takeaways and I wasn't too impressed. I'd say its maybe a more reasonably priced TA standard type of affair than some of the ones mentioned above.

Offline Currynoob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 04:27 AM »
Mustaqs in Hamilton is worth the short drive out to great service really well priced and never had a bad curry. He does some limited editions every few months to keep it interesting too.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 10:20 PM »
I'll throw some local knowledge into this....

Balbirs on Church Street in the west end. As mentioned, they don't use ghee. Restaurant is lovely, product is high quality. Usually have the Bhel Poori, tandoori salmon as starters and Parsi Chicken as a main course

Ranjits Kitchen Southside on the main drag at the very north end of Shawlands. This has a lot of buzz right now. Its small, run by a Pakistani family ( mother and daughters ) and does vegetarian fare. I've still not been but literally every person that I know that has, swears by it. Been meaning to go for aaaaages and its very near me.

Turban Tandoori in Giffnock next  to the train station. Been going there since I was a kid. Quite small and has the traditional feel. Again, quality product and service is great. Does my favourite Peschwari naan I've ever had. King Prawn Masaladar is my favourite curry going just about.

New Turban Tandoori in Giffnock at the roundabout. These two have existed side by side for as long as I can remember. Not quite sure on the dynamic between the two but I've heard various stories on splits, breakaways etc etc. Either way, this is excellent as well. I probably prefer the one at the station at a push but if your passing through the area you will like either option.

The Village in Tradeston. They have two premises here now. Strong long lasting reputation. I've been a handful of times and never disappointed. Some people swear by it.

The Dhabba in Merchant City. Bit of buzz due to locale, and done with a bit of pizazz and a fresh take. Been a good while since I was in, but the lamb on the bone dish I had was fantastic. I'm yet to visit the the sister restaurant across the road that does South Indian.

Shish Mahal in Woodlands road area. Oldest in Glasgow along with the Koh-I-Noor at Charing Cross. Traditional and solid. I saw the bad review somewhere else on this site. I've been maybe 10-15 times and its always been decent. Doesn't contain the wow factor of some of the others.

Some people swear by Mother India at Kelvingrove. I've never been.
I see Anarkali was mentioned. An ex girlfriends dad swore by it, calling it the best in the city. Only had takeaways and I wasn't too impressed. I'd say its maybe a more reasonably priced TA standard type of affair than some of the ones mentioned above.

Hi EuanW, those are decent picks imo.  I've been in most of those except the kelvingrove MI, every time I've passed there's been a queue outside),dhabba and Ranjits, which I dont know, but will try it maybe next week for a t/a

Balbirs, was really smart inside when it opened & did great mushroom pakora

Turban at Giffnock station used to be real quality , when I was last there over 10 years ago, one of our favourites actually. Tried the new one at Eastwood toll for a t/a, but don't remember much about it tbh.

Village was ok, lots of Asian families eating in there, which I think must mean something in terms of its authenticity. I don't think that works in reverse in Glaswegian  :D

Anarkali is not the most pleasant to sit in as its very bright, but its always busy & the staff are good. Guilty of quite a few dishes having the same flavour running through them, which I put down to their gravy. Pakora is magic, the food is  great value in terms of portions

Shish is way overpriced now, but has its reputation for good reason

I'd recommend Alishan in battlefield, nice flavour like the khoh I noor, in their dishes, what I might call the Glasgow taste

Regards

ELW

©2024 Curry Recipes