Author Topic: Mango Chutney  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Mango Chutney
« on: January 16, 2010, 10:09 PM »
4 mangoes,peeled and cut into small pieces
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 cloves garlic,crushed
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp salt
 Juice of 2 lemons

SERVES 8

Heat the vinegar in a large pan ,but DO NOT BOIL.Add sugar and simmer for 10 minutes stirring until all dissolved.Put garlic,chilli powder,salt and the juice of 2 lemons in a mortar and pestle and grind until pureed,then add all ingredients to pan including the mangoes and simmer for 30 minutes.Leave to cool then store in sterilized jars.

Cant remember where this recipe is from but its very nice.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Chutney
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 01:26 AM »
Thanks for the recipe UF.  I'll give this a go (when the price of mangoes comes down!)

I've often tried to make my own sweet mango chutney, but with limited success.  They seem to taste way too vinegary and/or too spicy.  Most recipes also seem to include ginger (which I don't particularly want to taste in my sweet mango chutney).  I notice this recipe doesn't, which is a good sign, in my opinion.  I don't think I've seen lemon juice in a recipe before either.

I've had quite good success with simply simmering tinned mangoes (they are often far cheaper!) in some vinegar with sugar.

Offline billycat

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 01:56 PM »
Hi CA

are mangoes expensive even in sunny oz

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Yes they are (in the Southern parts, anyway), about a quid each (for maybe 500g?), which I think is pretty expensive.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Got 6 mangoes for ?1 from a local market,its excellent, coriander 3 big bunchies ?1,fresh ginger 4 big roots ?1,garlic 8-10 bulbs 50p, it has everything for making curries at a fraction of the price people pay in supermarkets
This recipe is very basic, so you can add things to it , to make it taste the way you like it.
Hope it helps.

©2024 Curry Recipes