Author Topic: Chicken Jalfrezi  (Read 5779 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Jalfrezi
« on: January 19, 2010, 01:42 AM »
It was suggested that I move this thread here. Thanks to Admin and AchMal for the inspiration to try a Taz version of Admin's Jalfrezi, with a couple of added tweaks. Thanks Panpot for the Bunjara.

Hi All,

Tonight's dinner -- Chicken Jalfrezi...

1) 10 seconds in, adding the spice mix to the base

2) Adding the pre-fried red, orange, and green peppers, and chillies at the end of the reduction stage

3) Adding the second stage of base gravy

4) Final simmer

5) Served!

I was really pleased with this. Fantastic curry. How I rate it vs. previous Jalfrezis, I'm not sure. I don't make Jalfrezi often (enough!)

Having enjoyed Admin's Jalfrezi in the past, I thought I would adapt his to the Taz method. I used the Taz base, but added a carrot and a handful of coriander. I used 450ml of oil in the base. While the base was bubbling away, I made a batch of bunjarra (discussions on the forum seem to have been re-kindled), which I remember I liked. I added a spoon of the caramelized onions into the base too (before adding the spice ingredients of the bunjarra).

The precise method I followed is this:

Ingredients:

1 Small Yellow Onion, Chopped into quarters, then halved
1/4 Red Pepper Chopped into chunks
1/4 Green Pepper Chopped into chunks
1/4 Orange Pepper Chopped into chunks
1/2 Tomato, cut into two wedges
4 Green Chillies, pierced with fork
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp ginger, minced
0.25 tsp black pepper
Tbsp Tomato puree
Tbsp Taz Spice mix
1.5 tsp chili powder
tsp methi leaves
0.5 tsp salt
200 + 250ml Taz curry base
tsp lime juice
1 batch of precooked chicken
Tbsp Bunjarra
Pinch of MSG
Tbsp of fresh coriander stalks and leaves
Coriander leaves for garnish

Method:

- Fry the peppers, onions, and chillies in oil, over mediun-high heat, until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a pan heated at medium, add 200ml base, spice mix, chilli, methi, salt, pepper, garlic, ginger, and tomato puree.  Stir to combine.
- Reduce the pan contents over medium heat, as specified here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4165.0
- Once fully reduced (approx 7 minutes or so), add the prefried peppers/onions, bunjarra, and precooked chicken.
- Give a quick stir, then add 250ml base gravy, lime juice, tomato wedges, and coriander
- Cook on medium-low until desired consistency
- Add pinch of MSG, stir, serve, and garnish with coriander leaves

--- Josh

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Jalfrezi
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 09:35 AM »
That looks really good josh.

I must admit I was considering the same approach i.e. taking the relatively simple Taz recipe then adding to it with the Bunjara stuff, precooked garlic/ginger, and generally experimenting with it.

I've decided to try the CA base and masala and recipes next but don't think it will be long before I make another Taz base as well.

It would be really interesting if Taz spilled the beans a bit more on other recipes but I guess we should be grateful for what we've got.

Paul.

Offline Paul1980

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Jalfrezi
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 01:13 PM »
Excellent recipe mate!
Tried this at the weekend and was the best Jalfrezi I have made so far base was also spot on.

©2024 Curry Recipes