Author Topic: The Balti Kitchen Video Review  (Read 11585 times)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Balti Kitchen Video Review
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 07:59 AM »
It appears to be a deep creamy colour. This is what fenugreek powder looks like.
Cheers all,
Blondie
That is definitely ground fenugreek seeds, then.
I bought a pack of it a couple of years back.
I thought it might be the missing "taste"
I couldn't find many recipes using it
If you grind the fenugreek leaves (as Kris Dhillon suggests) it remains a dirty green colour

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 08:10 AM »
I've converted DVD 1 & 2 to a 800mb DivX AVI file for easy download. This is available via the torrent format.
http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp?mode=torrentdetails&id=383087&query=kitchen+balti+
Hi Blade
            I've downloaded the file
What program does it play in?
It's throwing up errors

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 09:13 AM »
Hi Pete,

I havn't finished getting it yet but its an AVI file so you will need the DIVX codec to play it in windows media player or a DIVX player. 

Have a look here:  http://www.divx.com/

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 10:58 AM »
Pete, I use BSPlayer to play these files but you still need AVI codec (eg the Divx codec in this case) to decode the file and allow it to play.

Player -> http://www.bsplayer.org/

Codecs -> http://www.free-codecs.com/FFDShow_download.htm

If you install both of these, you should  be up and running. CK is right about using the Divx codec for this particular file, but the FFDshow program allows you to playback loads of different formats in addition to Divx (eg xvid).

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 05:49 PM »
I dont know how many people are indians on this site but I am and  we dont use the dried methi very much.  A certain few dishes have it - but otherwise, we always grind the seeds ourselves to use - I have not even bothered looking for the powder in a supermarket because the quantity used is so little, it is better to grind the seeds fresh each time.  But maybe here in the UK for the "currys" the leaves may be used - I am new to the UK and we dont really have "currys" in India - most of the restaurants dont even use onions or garlic in their cooking!!!  But the food is very very tasty anyways.  My parents never saw an onion or garlic clove growing up because they never ate it!  It seems the indian food in the UK is totally different from what is found in india - I have not found any restaurant to my liking here in the UK.  I am from the US and the food is more authentic there than here!

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 06:30 PM »
There are a few "authentic" curry shops dotted around, but you need to seek them out. Which area do you live and maybe someone can help you locate a good one  ?

I've got to disagree with you on American food - surely not. Any Indian food I've tried in the US has been worse than any Indian food I've tasted in the UK - authentic or otherwise.  I totally agree the majority of Indian Restaurants here don't offer up authentic Indian food but we've become acclimatised to the 'Restaurant' taste - with tons of onion and garlic.

While we're on the quest for 100% Indian Restaurant taste, maybe you could post a few Authentic recipes ?? What about some starters ?

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2005, 07:11 PM »
Yes, a few traditional recipes would be great. While you cook traditional Indian food can you cast some light on what Basaar Mix is used in? I bought some from my local Asian supermarket on recommendation as most Asians use it in home cooking. It smells awesome and is sold from plastic dustbins with a scoop so I reckon it's an important spice mix for some folk.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2005, 08:14 PM »
? My parents never saw an onion or garlic clove growing up because they never ate it!
No onion or garlic?
What are the curries, are they just meat and spices?

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2005, 08:57 PM »
No meat!  Most people are still vegetarians - at least everyone i know is.  there are no such things as "curries".  The liquidy type of dishes have either tomato or even yogurt  as a base.  Plus, we dont eat "curry" type things often...we eat lentils each day and once in a while, there is special dish like a Kofta curry (made with veggies) or paneer makhani or something like that.  I do use onion and garlic not just for taste, but for the health benefits....but i can easily do without them too.  I will look into posting a recipe or 2 from the official Bombay palace cookbook.

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2005, 09:01 PM »
Yes, a few traditional recipes would be great. While you cook traditional Indian food can you cast some light on what Basaar Mix is used in? I bought some from my local Asian supermarket on recommendation as most Asians use it in home cooking. It smells awesome and is sold from plastic dustbins with a scoop so I reckon it's an important spice mix for some folk.

I have never heard of that mix - thats a new one to me!!  i dont think it is genuine to be honest.  Maybe a certain part of india uses it but not the north.  Have you tried searching online for it?  I will try that just to be sure.

©2024 Curry Recipes