Author Topic: Peterandjen's Pilau Rice  (Read 15118 times)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Peterandjen's Pilau Rice
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 07:20 PM »
its water lol, didnt work for me, tried a few times lol

Garry

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 10:57 PM »
Well im stumped m8 every time ive cooked it its been great. Oh well sorry m8.

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 04:51 AM »
Tonight I made 4-times the quantity cooked it for 6-minutes, and then let it rest for 6-minutes, and did not use the cinnamon.  I used 1tsp of salt.

I seem to be 'burning' the fennel seeds, so I guess whatI should do ned time it be much more careful with the fennel, or possibly even not use it, as it is getting a smokey flavour.

This method is working for me.

Any thought on how to get the yellow 'flecks' into it?

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 05:02 AM »
its water lol, didnt work for me, tried a few times lol

Garry

So, when you say it 'doesn't work for you' what exactly is not working?

I  believe the secrets are to:
* wash the rice THOROUGHLY, and
* thoroughly cover the rice with the oil

Washing it removes the starch, that may cause it to stick together in a clump; and  coating each grain with oil keeps the rice grains separated.

When I wash it, I am using a 7-inch tamis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamis), washing with COLD water, and using about 4-5 gallons of water (to make sure the water runs clears when the rice is washed).

I bought my tanis (I have 1 7-ich and 12-inch tams) that I bought from Sur la Table (http://www.surlatable.com/p2p/endecaSearch.do?keyword=tamis&Search.x=0&Search.y=0).  They are expensive, BUT they are worth the money, because they do the job properly,

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 06:04 AM »
Every once in a while, you come across a recipe that "just works".

For me, its the original BE Pilau. (not the revised).

1C rice in 2T ghee with whole spices - bay, cinnamon stick, cloves, green cards, plus I like to add fennel and black cumin.

Stir until just brown, then add 0.5 t turmeric and 0.5t salt, I personally add 0.5C rosewater and 1.5C water. Into the oven at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. At the end I colour with streaks or not.

Great result.

-- Josh

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 04:39 PM »
haha i must be the only person who cant make this lol, i am once trying again as its annoying me lol

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 06:37 PM »
lol i tried and failed again hahaha , where do you live peterandjen so u can show me lmao

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 12:08 PM »
haha i must be the only person who cant make this lol, i am once trying again as its annoying me lol

Hi gazman, perhaps you'd be better off using one of the recipes where you use an excess of water and drain (rather than using this absorption method).  It's easier to control.

There are several recipes in the rice recipes section here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=86.0

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Posted by peterandjen and moved to here by CA

I've got a fool proof, works every time no matter how many servings, Pilau rice recipe : have a gander. (recipe snipped)
OK, tried this twice now.  The first time I followed your quantities and timings exactly, and found that the rice was not fully cooked, so had to continue cooking until ready.  The results were OK but not as good as I'd hoped.  On the second occasion (yesterday), I used your exact methodology but modified the quantities, timings and spicing in accordance with my own experience and judgement.  This time the results were out of this world : I have never achieved anything like this before.  Pilau rice that was light, fluffy, rounded, smooth, every grain separate (without any trace of greasiness) and with a real "BIR Pilau Rice" flavour.  Thank you so much for posting this : my rice will never be the same again !

Offline nai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 02:42 PM »
Just tried this with a single serving and I'm very impressed. I'm a noob, but it's the best rice I've ever made, lol. I'm eating a for-the-sake-of-it bowl as we speak. I added a little msg to mine though...I add it to nearly everything, lol.

Thanks very much  ;D

A quick question: what are your views on the 'easy cook' basmati?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:55 PM by nai »

©2024 Curry Recipes