Author Topic: What Ingredients are we missing  (Read 39257 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: What Ingredients are we missing
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2010, 08:16 PM »
WORCESTER SAUCE IS NOT PART OF THE MISSING TASTE OF TRUE BIR MADRAS. there are better ways to sour a curry. eg lemon.

I'm going to ignore the bit about lemon   ;D  but that aside I'm certain BIRs do use Worcester sauce in 'some' of their curries. But almost certainly not in the madras as you say. I've seen a bottle of Worcester being used in Malik's (via the webcam) but I couldn't tell what the curry was.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2010, 08:22 PM »
No Corry you first please if you would?
"@ Cory. What is your favourite Ozzy restaurant and why?"

As to what I had hoped for? Something different!  ;)

Anyway, Tarragon.
Yeah it works

What do you mean by "it works" please Mikka?

Not as good as would have hoped

And what did you hope for?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2010, 11:20 PM »

"Hungry Jacks" cos it's cheap and tasty.....and "the burgers taste better at Hungry Jacks"  ;)

....but, if you're asking about Indian restaurants, I don't have one.  Why?  Because whilst some Aussie Indian restaurants are OK (though many are dire!), and serve quite enjoyable food, the curries taste nothing like decent BIR curries.  They are not, therefore, something I wish to replicate...far from it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:57 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2010, 11:41 PM »

"Hungry Jacks" cos it's cheap and tasty.....and "the burgers are better at Hungry Jacks"  ;)

.........it takes two hands to handle a whopper!.............apparently...do they still use that ?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2010, 11:54 PM »
.........it takes two hands to handle a whopper!.............apparently...do they still use that ?

I'm not sure I've seen that one....advertisers do have an amusing habit of getting themselves into a little strife though ;D

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2010, 10:55 AM »
Hi secret santa, yes i was careful to specify madras only, as i know it is used by some bir. And i new someone would put in there two penny worth, tee hee ! although i can say the bangledesh bir, i frequent has no worcester sauce in the kitchen. do you use it still?

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2010, 04:38 PM »
OMG!  :o
You cannot find a single Indian Restaurant that you like? Come on Cory. I know what you mean about it seeming different but I have to say I find that just,..........  well odd.
I've seen people knock food over here but you have to look, learn and find out. They are there, just have to find them.

I do agree about the cost however. That's a major deterrent if there ever was one.
For me I'm on herbs, or 'ERBS' as they call them here. Without going into it too much I'm working on an additive that I can add to the main dish (Vindy) to make it like what I get from a TA. I'm not far off frankly there are four components and I haven't a clue what the fourth is!

Highly annoying but I've found three so far. Hope that clears things up.  ;D

Go look for one. Can't believe you cannot find one single place that has good food?

"Hungry Jacks" cos it's cheap and tasty.....and "the burgers taste better at Hungry Jacks"  ;)

....but, if you're asking about Indian restaurants, I don't have one.  Why?  Because whilst some Aussie Indian restaurants are OK (though many are dire!), and serve quite enjoyable food, the curries taste nothing like decent BIR curries.  They are not, therefore, something I wish to replicate...far from it.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2010, 08:30 AM »
i had TA this week and was quite pleased. i need to do side by side before deciding further.

my thoughts were that the balance or proportions are different.

more chopped onion. i use 1 chef per portion and probably need to x2
more garlic. i use 1 htsp g/g paste. again x2 or even try adding extra garlic. need to revisit pre fried.
less tom puree. i use 1 tbsp. need to use say 1 htsp.
very subtle spice mix. i use ~ 1tsp and need to try say 0.5 tsp.
slice of tom. i never add but always find. need to do same.

©2024 Curry Recipes