Author Topic: What Ingredients are we missing  (Read 39256 times)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: What Ingredients are we missing
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 09:11 AM »
Hi Josh
The amount of salt I currently add is none!

Thats because I over salted the last batch of SnS base I made. Only salt I had at that time

was Coarse Sea Salt crystals and I added 1 desert spoon to the base not realising how

much more concentrated it was  ::) Normally however I only add about 1/2 tsp

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 10:01 AM »
I believe a teaspoon of salt is about 5 to 6 grams. Don't forget the medics advise only 6 grams of salt per adult per day.

I find half a teaspoon per portion is plenty and tastes about right to me.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 01:02 PM »
I agree salt does bring out the flavours in dishes when cooking, but when its used its used for "salting to taste" i believe everybodies tastes are different and each restaurant therefore is going to have a different flavour, subtle but different.

That goes for all seasonings/spices, thats why when you go to someone elses favourite restaurant, that they absolutely rave about, you usually come away disappointed and revert back to your own personal favourite.

I think we choose restaurants/takeaways because they serve our own particular sense of taste, we dont just walk into the first one we see and find its excellent, we usually wander around trying different ones over a period of time until we get that eureka moment.
And i dont care what anyone says cornflour is used purely as a thickening agent.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 02:21 PM »
I believe a teaspoon of salt is about 5 to 6 grams. Don't forget the medics advise only 6 grams of salt per adult per day.

I find half a teaspoon per portion is plenty and tastes about right to me.

Just weighed a teaspoon of Salt and it came out at 4 gms , I find anything less than about 1 tsp makes very little difference to the taste of the Curry it's only when I get to a tsp measure I can start to taste the flavour  change . I would add my portion size is more than my local T/A . ;D Have you seen how much Salt goes in on the East Indian or Malik Video's  :o that ain't no 1/4 or 1/2 tsp  ;) And while on the subject of measures ( sorry to go a bit off topic JerryM ) when do you see a BIR Chef use a level tsp of this and a level tsp of that - you wont , if you want your food to taste like a BIR you need to cook like one but I do understand without the skill of a BIR Chef picking up 1/4 tsp of Salt accurately on a Chef's spoon ain't gonna be easy  ;)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 04:32 PM »
Hi emin-j, I just measured out 1 teaspoon of Saxo table salt with my measuring spoons and poured the contents onto my digital kitchen scales - I got 6 grams!

I don't like over salty curries - above a certain threshold it starts to take over the taste for me. I guess we have different taste thresholds for salt.

I wasn't having a pop at you - I just think we should be aware of what we are putting in our curries and the likely effects it can have on health.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 07:13 PM »
So let me get this straight? Derek who said salt is VERY important is not saying how much he puts in?  ;D

Everyone else has a range of half a tsp to 1 and a 1/2 tsp. Is this correct? I see about 2 tsp going in the main meal each time they cook on video lol! ;D

Ok a better question:
WHAT TYPE OF SALT do you use? I typically use Kocher or Sea Salt. There are alternatives to salt too but I won't go there right now. No its not artificial.

Cheers.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 10:17 PM »
Hi emin-j, I just measured out 1 teaspoon of Saxo table salt with my measuring spoons and poured the contents onto my digital kitchen scales - I got 6 grams!

I don't like over salty curries - above a certain threshold it starts to take over the taste for me. I guess we have different taste thresholds for salt.

I wasn't having a pop at you - I just think we should be aware of what we are putting in our curries and the likely effects it can have on health.

Hi PaulP , your teaspoon is 50% bigger than my teaspoon  ;D I have Digital Scales too  :P  ;)

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 11:10 PM »
Much, much worse....!!!
I use my nose and tongue!  :o

Hi PaulP , your teaspoon is 50% bigger than my teaspoon  ;D I have Digital Scales too

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 10:00 AM »
u all need to get u're specs on - u clearly haven't watched the video enough - there are in fact very few dishes when salt (bin "8") is actually dipped into.

what i'd like to do is get some meaningful and useful information from the video's.

to complete this task i'd really appreciate u're best guess at what these (8 off) ingredients are or what ingredients (even pastes etc not just raw ingredient) u know of that are missing from the list. if u don't know of any then please just say so. most of the 8 off seem to be 1 off ingredients. some like jar_15, jar_21, jar_22 appear to be common to various dishes and are consquently the key ones for me.

ps mickdabass clearly has impeccable vision on the subject of salt pointing out that u don't even need any at dish cooking if it's already in the base (there is a previous post on the subject).

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 10:37 AM »
many thanks to Secret Santa - i've just been watch some what appear to be v.recent jafflong video http://www.kitchenstreaming.com/play.php?vid=129.

could not resist adding the above link down to the salt.

©2024 Curry Recipes