Author Topic: MSG  (Read 15192 times)

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: MSG
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 06:03 AM »
I might try a sprinkle. I bought a 500g bag of MSG from a Chinese shop about 6 years ago and put it in a jar, still going strong. Now it lives on the very top shelf of the pantry with a skull and crossbones design drawn on it following an unfortunate incident a few years ago.

Daughter in law made herself a coffee and put in two spoons of this sugary looking substance she found in the cupboard. I can still remember the yell of horror  ;D ;D

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 06:42 AM »
Sounds like a silly question, but has anyone noticed any connection between consuming MSG and getting hiccups the subsequent day? I've always seen a correlation in myself between hiccuping and consuming Chinese takeaway the night before. This could be just a quirk of my physiology of course but a quick google revealed others asking the same question so maybe there's anecdotal evidence of a slight link. Would be good if you MSG experimenters could keep half an eye on this issue or at least be aware of the possibility of hiccups and report back?

Offline dafinchycode

• Chef
    • View Profile
standing on the sholders of giants
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 06:11 PM »
my header refers to the members who have posted their recipes & tips
i cant find the original  thread but the other day someone suggested using CHALICE CURRY OIL from aldi available in hot or mild also available form some asdas
i used chewy tikkas base IFINDFORU`S spice mix with julpar garam masala about 100 ml Of chalice hot curry oil as it has been suggested i used powdered fenugreek & a large pinch of MSG right at the end the sauce i haven't made any chiken yet though the sauce is  exactly the same as a madras available from the amonbagh take away in preston
to make it put 100mils of chalice hot curry oil in the sauce pan
add two finely diced onions mine were from lidl then at this point i added ginger/garlic with the addition of two heaped tsp of minced green chili fry slowly on a low light for  a half an hour till nearly dissolved & sweet
 then follow chewytikkas recipe but with the addition of heaped 1 tsp of ground fenugreek don't forget to omit the ginger/garlic as it has already been added
thanks guys the credits all on you.
add a large pinch of MSG right at the end ;D

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 06:59 PM »
Chalice oil, let me see ??? ??? ::) must be Bob, 976 bar.  He buys it by the lorry load ;D  Sound like you've got a bunjarra thing going on there with the onions, garlic/ginger chillis etc  DC  ;) Good choice of base and spice mix (suggest you try IFFU's pre-cooked chicken as well) and CT's madras recipe is lovely and tasty.  As for the fenugreek powder, i've not added it to a curry only as part of the spice mix.  Nor have  i used msg in BIR.  But  i won't knock it till i've tried it.  If it's that close to your locals, congratulations.  That's what this site is all about.  Enjoy everything else this great site has to offer thanks to the efforts of its members, past, present and hopefully future :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: standing on the sholders of giants
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 11:54 PM »
i used powdered fenugreek...add two finely diced onions

Is that ground fenugreek seeds or powdered methi (dry leaves)?

And two whole onions per serving?!  :o  Are you sure?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 06:50 AM »
my header refers to the members who have posted their recipes & tips
i cant find the original  thread but the other day someone suggested using CHALICE CURRY OIL from aldi available in hot or mild also available form some asdas
i used chewy tikkas base IFINDFORU`S spice mix with julpar garam masala about 100 ml Of chalice hot curry oil as it has been suggested i used powdered fenugreek & a large pinch of MSG right at the end the sauce i haven't made any chiken yet though the sauce is  exactly the same as a madras available from the amonbagh take away in preston
to make it put 100mils of chalice hot curry oil in the sauce pan
add two finely diced onions mine were from lidl then at this point i added ginger/garlic with the addition of two heaped tsp of minced green chili fry slowly on a low light for  a half an hour till nearly dissolved & sweet
 then follow chewytikkas recipe but with the addition of heaped 1 tsp of ground fenugreek don't forget to omit the ginger/garlic as it has already been added
thanks guys the credits all on you.
add a large pinch of MSG right at the end ;D

The Chalice Oil was my find, but alas have not seen or used it since :(

Offline dafinchycode

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 12:46 PM »
i used 600ml of CT`S base 2 heaped tsp of IFFU`S mix & 2 onions about 0.70mm diameter & just powdered fenugreek from the Asian shop I think it was eastend it would probably feed three people or one of my mates
i thought the oil was available @ASDA don't say i`I've found the holy grail but lost the ingredients i only have the one 250ml bottle
i read a few years back that the spiced oil to start a gravy was called a rogan is that the like the surplus oil on a roganjosh heavily laced with spices/tomatoes etc.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:47 PM by dafinchycode »

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 09:32 PM »
The Chalice Oil was my find, but alas have not seen or used it since :(

Managed to find the Chalice Oil at an Asda Hypermarket the other day Bob.  Think Ill stock up if its starting to be in short supply.

Offline dafinchycode

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2012, 09:58 AM »
just one thing this sauce is best made fresh i ate it immediately & it had a depth of flavors with that TA savory hit i then cooked raw chicken in it & the flavour was flat & had definitely lost something i`ll use precooked in future.

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2012, 10:43 AM »
I'm going to try 0.5 tsp in my next curry just to see ... I made a family favourite chicken chow mein the other day and added MSG for the first time and everybody commented on how similar it was to the T/A .. that was the only change I made to my usual recipe.

©2024 Curry Recipes