Author Topic: Possibly the best curry I've done yet  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Possibly the best curry I've done yet
« on: February 02, 2010, 10:28 PM »
Hey guys

As you probably know, I've been having epic results with CA's base, spice mix and recipes. My flatmate who has tried my attempt at just about every base / main on this site thinks my recent efforts are the best yet.

Last night I was in a rush. I didn't have too much in. I made an amazing curry. I don't know what you'd call it. Here's what happened:

I couldn't be bothered to pre cook meat so went with the frying option.

Ingredients:

4 tbsps sunflower oil
3 cloves finely chopped  garlic
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 tbsp finely chopped green capsicum
1 chicken breast cut into cubes
(No tomato puree in the house, which I usually would have used - and have missed in the past when omitted, but not this time)
1 heaped tsp Rajah hot Madras (I usually used rounded)
1 heaped tsp TRS extra hot chilli powder (it's not as hot as the label suggests)
1 heaped tsp CA's spice mix (I usually used rounded)
1/2 tsp salt

Method:

Put oil in pan and heat to medium. Add garlic and cook until just becoming golden. Add onion and capsicum and reduce heat - stir often. Cook for a minute or two. Put chicken in pan. Turn down heat further and let it cook gently until almost done, stirring so as to avoid burning the finely chopped garlic. Put in all spices and salt. Turn up heat to hot and stir like your life depends on it. It got dry. I added a slug of oil to lube things up and prevent the spices burning. 30 seconds later  and in with a little base, followed by the usual method of adding base and evaporating until the consistency was right. 

The result reminded me of a fantastic "chicken curry" I got in a takeaway in Shawlands, Glasgow and always wanted to reproduce. I think the added oil required to fry the spices given that the chicken breast was in there too was the reason for the better than usual result, coupled with the extra curry powder and spice mix, which had the oil as a medium. I'm going to be adding more oil, curry powder and spice mix in future. From takeaways's I've had, it's swimming in the  oil. I think they're using more than I am.

Cheers

BB.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:24 PM by Bobby Bhuna »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly the best curry I've done yet
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:27 PM »
1 heaped tsp CA's spice mix (I usually used rounded)

Whatever happened to the level teaspoons and measuring spoons then BB!   :P  Now you probably won't be able to repeat the result  ;)

I think frying the raw chicken helps a lot cos the spices coat the chicken nicely (infusing it with flavour) and the juices from the chicken prevent the spices from burning too easily.  The same is true of the garlic (if you added the garlic after the chicken).

I have never really worked out why BIRs precook their chicken, I really can't see the point?

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 11:55 PM »
Whatever happened to the level teaspoons and measuring spoons then BB!   :P  Now you probably won't be able to repeat the result  ;)

Well... I remember being involved in a discussion with you where you refuted my claim of less is more and claimed that more than 1tsp of spice mix works just fine. I took that on board and experimented a little.

I've been thinning my curries recently, again due to discussions involving yourself and I, as well as other members, which I feel has helped a great deal and allowed for the accommodation of a little more spice mix and curry powder. I'm sold on the thin base for similar reasons.

In conclusion I think that plenty, plenty oil is paramount and that with increased oil, comes increased scope for volume of spice (to the correct extent) and probably helps the frying of the spices. Honestly, my recent curries have been to die for! I'm happier with my curries than ever.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 11:59 PM »
I agree with all of that BB....but what happened to the measuring spoons though?  You're sounding like a proficient (deficient?) politician, there, hedging the question!  ;D

I was enquiring about the accurate measurement (reference your recent thread) rather than the volume..... ;)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 12:08 AM »
I agree with all of that BB....but what happened to the measuring spoons though?  You're sounding like a proficient (deficient?) politician, there, hedging the question!  ;D

I was enquiring about the accurate measurement (reference your recent thread) rather than the volume..... ;)

Absolutely fair comment. In my defense, I can describe the teaspoon. Fairly standard looking teaspoon. Silver, cleanish, teaspoon sized but with an underlying story, a tale to tell! I got the impression it had been involved in making of many well received cups of tea. Perhaps seen out a world war or two. I would suggest that this added to the taste/smell of the curry and infact, it's not the missing ingredient we're after - it's the missing kitchen utensil! ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:12 AM »
Ahhh, so if you lose it you're totally stuffed then!  ;D

But, more seriously, not being too frugal with the spices and oil (as you say) is a winner, in my opinion  8)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 04:10 AM »
Bobby - always great to hear members having personal success.

I find it interesting that you compare it to a BIR "Chicken Curry", and not a Madras, which that chilli level might have suggested.

Would you put that down to not having any tom puree?

No mention either of methi, but if I recall CA's spice mix uses it as an ingredient. Personally I think you might want more methi than is delivered by CA's mix by ratio.

Now to CA's first point... can you reproduce it?

Cheers,
Josh

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 03:18 AM »

hehe, you crack me up CA  ;D  lol

©2024 Curry Recipes