Author Topic: 12 pounds for a madras !!!!!!  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
12 pounds for a madras !!!!!!
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:57 AM »
I was just checking out a bir on the other side of town, and my jaw nearly fell off, when i read the price of a madras and basmati rice. yes folks, 9 pounds for madras, and 3 pounds for some basmatti rice. has anyone found a madras which is more expensive? or is this a new record?  the balti dish was 12 pounds , and rice was extra !! no wonder the uk has a credit crunch !! 

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 12 pounds for a madras !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:09 PM »
Easily beat that.
Before i moved from Birmingham, an Indian restaurant openend on the Robin Hood Island on the Stratford rd(used to be a Bank  nat west i think), anyway me and the mate went in for a Balti one friday night and was shocked at the place.
There were table cloths and napkins and a big pond full of fish in the middle of the room.
You could watch the chef cooking if you wanted and there were fish tanks in the wall with Lobsters in.
The normal menu was non-existent, instead you had Quail curries and for ?35 Lobster curry (you chose your own lobster from the tank).
Now i cant remember what the restaurant was called but it might have begun with an M mazuri or summat.
Im not sure if the restaurant is still there now or if its changed, but the meal was the dogs wossits.
And this was about 12 years ago.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 08:05 PM »
hi DD i've got a feeling that the bombay brasserie in london might beat that as the price of a CTM is around 30-40pounds not sure if that includes any rice or naan :o
regards
gary ;)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:46 AM »
40 pounds for a curry , thats shocking !! i did once pay 20 for a posh thai curry. i must admit it was actually worth every penny. delicious.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 11:59 PM »
For ?40 a curry, I'd expect to be able to take home the plates, cutlery, curry bowls tablecloths and some complimentary mints ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes