Author Topic: Bruce Edwards Curry Base sauce  (Read 13492 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Edwards Curry Base sauce
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 07:33 PM »
Hi Chaa006,

A chef who showed me how to make the restaurant base said they never use curry powder, every spice is put in seperate.   We do have a number of members who have also seen and been told BIR base recipes that do have curry powder in, so I would have thought it depends on the chef.   I think a lot of this maybe because 90% of your average BIR's are actualy run by people from Bangladesh rather than authentic Indian chefs.

Offline TRAVELMAN

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 02:20 PM »
Guys-just printed the bruce edwards stuff-GREAT! Can't wait to try it! One question....do you REALLY have to ladle of the oil & ghee at the end & replace with fresh? Surely the oil will have taken on a great colour/flavour?

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 11:53 PM »
I think that this step is basically personal preference - based on previous experiences with the recipe .When I make this base I reserve 50% of the oil in order to preserve the taste . Experiment a little and see what you prefer .  :)

CC

Offline TRAVELMAN

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 09:22 AM »
;)

Thanks for the replies! Sorry...being a but thick here! The way i read it you take out (ladle) the oil & ADD fresh oil/ghee (the same amount)-BACK IN TO THE SAUCE-this to me seems daft or am i mis-reading it/missing something??!

Chris

Offline TRAVELMAN

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 04:36 PM »
 :)Ok...re-read it now & see you put oil BACK in curry after it's been blended THEN do tarka. Doesnot say anything on the recipe about skimming oil off finished sauce? Guys/gals-would you skim off? As Approx 4 tablespoons goes in each curry would think some/nearly all should be skimmed off??!

Chris

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 05:43 PM »
Guys/gals-would you skim off? As Approx 4 tablespoons goes in each curry would think some/nearly all should be skimmed off??!
Almost always.  The only exception is when re-heating a previous day's curry, which I do by heating some ghee in a wok, throwing in the leftover curry, and then adding a little water or stock if it looks too dry; in those circumstances (and assuming you don't use too much ghee !), then I find that the added ghee helps to give the curry a nice glossy look without adding unwanted greasiness.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 05:38 PM »
After all this chat of Bruce Edwards, I was looking a his recipies on the site. Has anyone tried his curry house cookery base recently? Is it good?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 06:59 PM »
Alright Bobby,

From what I remember the base is very good, I think there are two though and it is the second, revised base to go for.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 12:19 AM »
hi bobby, i think this is a great base! if you like the "THE MADRAS 100% CLONE" you will like this... there quite similar if making a madras. UB.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 10:36 AM »
Alright Bobby,

From what I remember the base is very good, I think there are two though and it is the second, revised base to go for.

Thanks CK, any chance of a link? I'm having trouble finding it! Thanks in advance, BB.

©2024 Curry Recipes