Author Topic: Kushi Basic Balti  (Read 30259 times)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Kushi Basic Balti
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 03:45 PM »
ok thanks unclefrank !  already planning a sunday cookathon to test these out.  shit i used up all the gravy ! panic stations ! 

Offline joe36

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 03:58 PM »
Hi all. Is there a Kushi Garam masala (from the book) which goes in the kushi spice mix. Thanks

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 04:13 PM »
Hi all. Is there a Kushi Garam masala (from the book) which goes in the kushi spice mix. Thanks

Hi Joe

AFAIK there is no custom Kushi Garam Masala mix. Personally I just use one of the commonly available ready mix Garam Masalas such as East End, Natco or Rajah etc. I think it is only 1 tsp in the mix anyway which is quite a small quantity compared to the rest of the powders in the mix.

Thanks

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2012, 08:52 AM »
Good read this.  Plan to get to over to the Kushi Balti House sometime this week for a takeaway and a copy of the book.  Dry curry could be the future me thinks.

Rob  :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 10:03 AM »
I really fancied trying the Kushi Balti recipes so, being at a loose end yesterday, I made the Kushi base, Kushi pre-cooked chicken and Kushi spice mix and then cooked the Kushi Basic Balti.

I have to be honest and say that, although every ingredient and the cooking method were to spec, I was really disappointed in the end result. I felt that the meal was rather bland and tasted of nothing very much. This opinion was confirmed by my good lady wife.

My problem is that I now have 6 double portions of the base gavy and 2 generous double portions of the pre-cooked chicken in the freezer and I'm certainly not going to throw them out (yes, I am that stereotypical Scotsman lol!). Oh, and half a tub of spice mix - daftie that I am, I made a double quantity.

I may give the dopiaza or the pathia recipes a go to see if I can do better the next time, but otherwise, I fear the spice mix will be binned and the base gravy recycled for something else.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 10:28 AM »
Hi Naga what i do is add some green pepper, tomatoes and chunks of onion, that is what Balti's are like from my area so really it's a little like cooking a Bhuna but not reducing the sauce down too much.
What i did is mix recipes from this book
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Balti-Secrets-Birmingham-Co/dp/0572022980/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1353320399&sr=8-2

and the Kushi, Authentic balti Curry book, the results are spot on, for me any way.
Also try adding halfto one teaspoon of Kewra water when adding the last ladle of base, adds that extra Balti taste.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2012, 10:49 AM »
I may give the dopiaza or the pathia recipes a go to see if I can do better the next time, but otherwise, I fear the spice mix will be binned and the base gravy recycled for something else.

Hi Naga,

I posted a topic on my exploits of the book and some of the recipes, when I first got it. I quite enjoyed playing with the recipes and found the Kushi base and spice mix a tasty change to my usual. I'm sorry to hear both you and the wife are not getting on with it, but before you bin the base, spice mix and pre-cook chicken, can I point you to the following Chicken Jalfrezi. It's a recipe I put together using the the Kushi components that I feel may suit your taste buds, we (the wife and I) certainly enjoyed it.

Cheers

Malc.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 11:00 AM »
Thanks to you both, UF and Axe. I had rather hoped that someone would come up with good advice before my post became irrevocably buried under this relentless mountain of spam we're getting just now.

I will definitely try your suggestions - as I've got 2 portions of the pre-cooked chicken left anyway, I'll be able to use them up in both UF's amended recipe (although I've no Kewra water) and the Jalfrezi.

I'll update the thread to let you know how I get on. Thanks again! :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 11:11 AM by Naga »

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2012, 12:15 PM »
Tesco are doing a bottle for 50p at the moment.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2012, 12:29 PM »
Had a takeaway from the Kushi last night.  Kushi Kebab, Balti Chicken, Pilau Rice and Garlic Naan.  Will do a review when I get a chance; it will all get 10/10.

Rob  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes