Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Masala using Moti Mohal's sauce & Blade's tikka  (Read 6548 times)

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
I used the original Moti Mahal butter chicken (murgh makhani) recipe but used Blade's tikka recipe instead of theirs as his is perfect.
Tikka recipe here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=874.0
Sauce recipe at the bottom of the photos.

This recipe from Delhi in the 1950's is considered to be the forerunner of CTM. I've heard a lot of conflicting stories about it's origins and claims that it doesnt exist in india or wasnt created there. Well this recipe turns out a CTM in my opinion.

I can't believe i forgot to seek out this restaurant when i was in Delhi last year. I was wondering around old delhi for hours before choosing a restaurant which had cockroaches and flies everywhere and unfiltered water. I deserve a smack around the head for not doing more research!
Yes the name of this dish is different and the taste isnt exactly the same as a BIR but it is clearly the same dish IMO i.e the same original idea. Add more sugar, some coconut powder and some food colouring and it's a BIR CTM. Use reclaimed oil and it'll be better. I'm really happy to have found this recipe as it's quick, easy and requires no base.

Marinade ingredients before mixing. I also added yoghurt so it penetrated the meat more.

After 24h the chicken was threaded on to steel skewers and cooked under an electric grill on high heat. It cooked quicker than i thought it would, i think because the skewer heats it from the inside too.

My new skewers dont look like they're very well made. Oh well.

Tomatoes, tomato puree, washed stalks, water, garlic, ginger, cardamom, cloves, indian bay leaves and salt. Before simmering for about 20 mins.
Note this is double the recipe

Whole spices and stalks removed (although it didnt specify in the recipe) the mixture was blended and pushed through a sieve.

Mild chilli powder (i used a mix of deggi mirch, kashmiri and reshampati) and dried methi/fenugreek leaves were added and it was cooked for a few mins to thicken up. Butter was added, along with sugar, MSG, red food colouring, cream and the just-cooked tikka. Fat was not allowed to rise before serving. Powdered garam masala was added at the end.

Finished dish. It had more sauce, i just didnt flood the bowl so you could see the meat in the photo. Only differences from the moti mahal recipe being more sugar, MSG and food colouring. I didnt use the tikka bit of the recipe as i used blade's but theirs looks good and quite similar. Thanks Unclebuck for the recipe book. It seems like a good'n

Recipe:

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Masala using Moti Mohal's sauce & Blade's tikka
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:18 PM »
Dang Chinois look at this!  :o
Look at those devils chicken spikes too. Wonderful images pal.

Nice post Chinois.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:57 PM »
Nice work Nic,
and one to try,
Not sure about dishing up into unwashed bowls or was that a second serving? ;)
Mick

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:16 PM »
sweet post Chin!!

Think ill have to have a go at this one to with blades tikka recipe,

Thanks for reporting back

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:32 PM »
Nice work Nic,
and one to try,
Not sure about dishing up into unwashed bowls or was that a second serving? ;)
Mick
Good point, that was a second serving!
I use my phone as the camera and it's kind of breaking so the initial photos didnt work out. I'd like to use a proper camera as it's a pain in the arse using this to be honest. I have to take a few shots to get one without too much blur!

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 04:35 PM »
Dang Chinois look at this!  :o
Look at those devils chicken spikes too. Wonderful images pal.

Nice post Chinois.
Cheers Mikka, i thought the skewers were pretty cool too. They use them at the kurdish restaurants round here. Unfortunately they dont fit sideways into my oven so i have to angle them diagonally. Not much of an issue though.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 12:02 AM »
none of the photos i uploaded are working anymore. I know that's probably a blessing for some of you but it's a bit of pain for me as i spent time putting this together. Does anyone know what the reason is or if that site's down or something? Hopefully i still have the originals but i was hoping to be able to store them here only.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 01:55 AM »
none of the photos i uploaded are working anymore. I know that's probably a blessing for some of you but it's a bit of pain for me as i spent time putting this together. Does anyone know what the reason is or if that site's down or something? Hopefully i still have the originals but i was hoping to be able to store them here only.

I think this may be the reason :

Quote from: ImageHost
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Bandwidth Limit Exceeded</H1>

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes