Author Topic: Sheep Testicle Tikka Masala  (Read 17409 times)

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Sheep Testicle Tikka Masala
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Who the flock would eat that?  :o  Did you eat it???   What was it like (Not chicken...)

This was a dinner i made for myself. My gf doesnt like lamb so she refused it after the initial mouthful. The sauce was really good thanks. I reckon i've cracked tikka masala quite easily.
But the balls i hear you say - well, i mentioned the taste in an earlier post. Mildly lamby with a bit of an offal/game twang. It's hard to describe if you dont know that twang but maybe it's like iron (anyone care to help me here!?).
The texture's the high point so i advise you marinade and flavour them well and you'll end up with a great bit of meat that you'll recognize as lamb.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 07:46 PM »
I had chicken hearts in a curry once, they were actually quite tastey. But that was a different ball game all togther. Hehe, gerrit?

.....i'll get my coat. ;D

Joking aside, the ingredients look revolting but the finished dish disguises them well.

I've only heard good things about chicken (& pidgeon) hearts, they seem to be a bit of a chef's treat. And yes i agree the raw unprepared testicles look completely unappetising! But you know when you see them looking at you every time you walk in your shop you've got to try them out!

Y'all lucky my latest experiment didnt turn out well - ox lung seek kebabs. They just didnt coagulate properly and wouldnt cling to the skewers. The meat balls that resulted werent the full package. Lung bolognese was better, although more sinew than you'd ideally want.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 01:39 AM »
This post is just offal

::)

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 10:27 AM »
There is a stall on one of the markets round here that sells dried bull's penises, at least that's what they say they are, personally I think it's a bit of a cock and bull story.....

I'll get me coat...
CoR

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 11:04 AM »
I've only heard good things about chicken (& pidgeon) hearts, they seem to be a bit of a chef's treat.

I'll be honest, I had to down a few bottles of dutch courage before I was able to entertain trying them. I like my food but i'm not what you would call adventurous as far as offal is concerned.

They were offered up with a curried rice, cold, having been stored to reheat as a meal. Bless it, the meal never got time to reach the oven, as it was quite delicious. I was taken back and even went for a second. It was helped by the fact they were well cooked and sitting in a pungent curried rice. I would eat them again.

I think the problem with some foods is they either sound or look or sometimes feel quite awful. Taste is often the last thing to be considered. My wife hates prawn only because she can't get past the visual aspect of what they look like and bring her self to eat it.

Lung is the same thing for me, i'm not sure I could get past what it is and as for the penile extremities, not a chance.

I admire you for giving it a go though.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 10:05 AM »
bump  :D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 10:20 AM »
bump  :D

You rang ? 

Testicles (sheeps' or otherwise) would be a new one on me, but I have eaten most other things : sweetbreads (i.e., pancreas), sheep's brain salad, duck's tongues, everything's hearts, livers, kidneys, intestines (Polish flaki), plus everything that makes up an authentic haggis, so I wouldn't be averse to trying them.  Our local butcher has his own slaughterhouse attached, so I am sure I could have some if I asked, but they are never on display.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:43 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Organ meat is all good healthy stuff if you can stomach it.

A few small chunks of kidney in a steak and kidney pie or pudding is about as far as I can go, unfortunately.

Paul

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 01:36 PM »
A few small chunks of kidney in a steak and kidney pie or pudding is about as far as I can go, unfortunately.

My mother used to use 1/3 kidney (i.e., two parts steak to one part kidney); my wife and I like the kidney element so much that I use 1/2 kidney (i.e., 50:50).

** Phil.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 06:44 PM »
Was never that keen on the flavour of sheeps/lambs fries, but love most other offal.
Hearts are fantastic! Taste just like steak.  :P
Pigs tails in an Irish coddle, zampone from Italy, Andouillette in France(didnt like that, maybe that had lambs fries in it?)
I've had intestine kebabs in Turkey, great flavour but a little rubbery. brain soup, grilled kidneys with the suet still on to baste.. .ahhhhh   ;D
Lots of great flavours that are overlooked in this country these days. Shame.  :(

©2024 Curry Recipes