Author Topic: What is Coconut Powder?  (Read 41047 times)

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut Powder
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 10:32 PM »
Hi all again

Listen your coconut block is better than any cocnut powder, flour or milk for that matter so far as flavour is concerned.

That bag is simply mislabelled due no doubt to language/translation issues.

Stick with the block Emin-j its by far superior.

But do buy a bag of that stuff if you find it and let your daughter try a korma made with it, I bet you get the same answer from her.

Good luck with it anyway

Cheers all

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 10:52 AM »
i use both the block (base & dishes) and flour (dishes). the flour does give that graininess that u find in BIR. the block does give good taste.

i have tried coconut milk and desiccated coconut and not been impressed.

i guess one of those personal taste things.

when using the flour i add 100ml of water to the base to allow the flour to cook out better which reduces the graininess.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Hi all again

Listen your coconut block is better than any cocnut powder, flour or milk for that matter so far as flavour is concerned.

But do buy a bag of that stuff if you find it and let your daughter try a korma made with it, I bet you get the same answer from her.

Good luck with it anyway

Cheers all

Listen, indeed, Paul I am not disputing whether you think/feel that one product is better than another,
All I'm saying is, this product is what I have seen used in several BIRs, and that it is called Powder,
Regarding the point you make ref labelling and no doubt translation issues,, I can only tell you that it is packaged/labelled in England,

Thanks,

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 01:10 PM »
Hi all again

Good luck with it anyway

Cheers all

artistpaul ,

I have to agree with at the moment regarding the taste but I think I need to add more Coconut Milk Powder to get somewhere near the taste , the reason I thought I would change to powder from the Creamed block i have been using is the amount of saturated fats in Creamed Coconut Block , I think I read somewhere it was 57%  :o

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 07:16 AM »
emin-j,

u've got 80% in butter and a fair few cheeses. stick with the block in moderation.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 08:37 AM »
stick with the block in moderation.

What do BIRs use?  :-\

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 06:41 PM »
CA,

we know BIR's use the flour. i also think they use block in the base. i use the block and the flour in tikka - the dishes are very different but both taste very good. my lad for example won't have tikka masala without block. i personally don't like masala from BIR as they put too much flour and sugar in.

we just need a bit a flexibility now and again to suit a persons individual preferences even though they might not be technically BIR.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 07:03 PM »
emin-j,

u've got 80% in butter and a fair few cheeses. stick with the block in moderation.

Don't use either of them in my Korma JerryM  :D
If I can find a healthier option rather than the Coconut Block that gives as good a result I would go with that , the Coconut Powder shown in the photo above is what I was looking for and looking at T/A video footage is probably what they use.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 07:36 PM »
emin-j,

i'll look out for the TRS stuff out of interest (to compare with the Heera brand which i have). i'm beginning to think that flour is powder though (comparing the TRS pic and my bag of the flour).

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 09:37 PM »
emin-j,

i'll look out for the TRS stuff out of interest (to compare with the Heera brand which i have). i'm beginning to think that flour is powder though (comparing the TRS pic and my bag of the flour).

Thank's JerryM , when I got to the check out at the Indian Supermarket I had a bag of Coconut Flour and I asked the Indian Lady on the till if this was Coconut Powder as for making a Korma , the Lady replied ' No that is for Baking Cakes and stuff ' She then pointed to the Coconut Milk Powder which is what I bought but it was over twice the price of the Flour for half the weight !

©2024 Curry Recipes