Author Topic: Chilli growing time!  (Read 67301 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Chilli growing time!
« on: March 04, 2010, 01:45 PM »
Its my favourite time of year, choosing chilli seeds to grow over the summer. Last year I had great success with Dorset Nagas (very hot but not very tasty) and super chillies (still using them now from the freezer).

This year I want to grow long green finger chillies like the indian supermarkets sell. The trouble is, they dont usually have a variety on them. Has anyone else done this successfully in the past? Im looking at Jati Jolokia or maybe a New Delhi Long but there are just so many varieties!

I'm going to grow some Jalapenos too as I use them all the time on pizzas.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli growing time!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 05:38 PM »
Now that does sound cool
I guess you've seen this site?
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/veg-chilipepper2.htm
They have bundles of Chillies here, some Mexican of course, though I've seen them for sale in Indian stores too. I've always wanted to try and grow some but I think I'm too lazy frankly in that department.

Its my favourite time of year, choosing chilli seeds to grow over the summer. Last year I had great success with Dorset Nagas (very hot but not very tasty) and super chillies (still using them now from the freezer).

This year I want to grow long green finger chillies like the indian supermarkets sell. The trouble is, they dont usually have a variety on them. Has anyone else done this successfully in the past? Im looking at Jati Jolokia or maybe a New Delhi Long but there are just so many varieties!

I'm going to grow some Jalapenos too as I use them all the time on pizzas.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 06:33 PM »
morrisons is selling starter grow packs with various themes. I bought the mexican one that has chillies, tomatoes?, and some kinda bean.

?3 for 3 pots, soil and seeds

thought i would give it a whirl on a windosill

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Mikka they are the easiest things in the world to grow and it is really addictive. You just need a pot, some compost and some seeds. As long as they get lots of sun and enough water you will get all the chillies you could ever need. I started mine on a windowsill and they ended up in the conservatory. My 6 super chilli plants last year produced close to 1000 chillies. I use them in chilli con carne from the freezer but they don't work in Indian cooking. It really is amazing watching such a small seed turn into a huge plant bearing fruit in a matter of 4 - 5 months. Everyone should be doing it.

I also highly highly recommend growing a few coriander plants. It's amazing how quickly they spread. I always find the stuff from the supermarket doesn't last long enough and I'm not a big fan of freezing it. Asda sell the plants already growing, all you need to do is stick them in a pot or in your garden and it will double or triple in size in a couple of weeks.

Offline fridgedoc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 11:41 PM »
Hi Chris

If you want the type of chillies as the restaurant use which is the type sold in Indian grocers just buy a few and dry them on a rad or remove the seeds and put them in an airing cupboard for a week or two and then plant out, I must say I have had great success from packets of dried chillies, where I am SW France the summers are hot so they grow really well here just as wel as chillies are hard to get fresh and so expensive you would not believe!!!!!
I also grow lemon grass, corriander and ginger, but chillies are my favourite, purchased lots of different dried chilies last year so will have a large variety this year (fingers crossed)

regards

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Looking forward to getting some chilli seeds planted again soon, does anybody know why it is when you have a plant full of flower heads ready to turn to chillis, sometimes  the heads drop off? Its happened to me both last two years and its gutting! :'( :'(

W

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 10:32 PM »
The only living green thing in my house is the shop bought coriander.  I seem to manage to kill everything else >:(.  I had the same experience with a chilli plant my friend bought for me :'( . That emoti icon is bloody brilliant ;D EDIT.  I should have said the avatar ::)

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 10:34 PM »
That emoti icon is bloody brilliant ;D

Hehe cheers CH, took inspiration from you guys down in fleet, also took a bit of effort getting it to work!!

W

Offline timeless

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 11:07 PM »
Planted my seeds on Monday this time I've got Cherry Bombs,Satan's Kiss,Chocolate Habeneros, Banana Pepper and Jalapenos hope they do better than last year though will be taking more care of them this time round.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 08:20 AM »
I've got to run out and get some compost today and get mine in this weekend. I left it far too late last year.

I'm just going to be growing Jalepno's, finger chilli's and I'm going to try some green capsicums this year too :)

©2024 Curry Recipes