Author Topic: Chilli growing time!  (Read 67814 times)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli growing time!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Its my favourite time of year, choosing chilli seeds to grow over the summer. Last year I had great success with Dorset Nagas (very hot but not very tasty) and super chillies (still using them now from the freezer).

This year I want to grow long green finger chillies like the indian supermarkets sell. The trouble is, they dont usually have a variety on them. Has anyone else done this successfully in the past? Im looking at Jati Jolokia or maybe a New Delhi Long but there are just so many varieties!

I'm going to grow some Jalapenos too as I use them all the time on pizzas.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

I've had much success with these:

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/pepper-sweet-and-chilli-seeds/chilli-pepper-pinocchios-nose-hot/294TM

They won't blow your head off, and can grow to around 10" long, so you get great value for money too.

I know what you mean about Dorset Nagas, which seem all about the heat rather than flavour. I grew some a couple of years ago but haven't bothered since, preferring the much more flavoursome Naga Jolokia. (Be warned that in a greenhouse the plants can get seriously big).

I've tried various seed suppliers, but these (again from Thompson) have yet to fail me:

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/pepper-sweet-and-chilli-seeds/chilli-pepper-naga-jolokia-very-hot/4753TM

Here are some from last year's crop...

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:40 PM »
Hi All :)
I have grown Chillies for 30 odd years so here are some basic tips
When you transplant make sure that the new pot is not too big as this will encourage extra leaf growth
When you water use rainwater only
Make sure that the water temp is the same as the plant they can go into shock easily 1 of the causes of blossom drop
Over watering will cause blossom drop as well
Keep them outside as much as you can for better pollination
Sometimes you can be lucky harvesting seeds from bought  Chillies the only problem is they can be Hybrids and will not fruit.if you buy seeds make sure there not F1 hybrids then the seeds can be used every year
The seed companies want you to buy every year so ignore all the hype about F1 seeds
I hope this is of some use to some of you

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 04:48 PM »
I never buy seeds, I just use the seeds from Chillis I have bought and dry them out, and I have never had any problem growing them in the last 5 years except from last year when I sowed them way too late!! :)

Keep them warm and dry, don't expose them to frost, and don't over water them, I have often used tap water when rain water hasn't been abundent and they still grow fine. I guess I am particularly lucky to have a southern facing back garden which is a bit of suntrap :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 06:21 PM »
Has anyone managed to grow chillies from seeds taken from a chilli pickle like Mr Naga or Mr Vikki? I'm wondering if these products are heat treated for sterilisation which might render the seeds sterile. Maybe I'll try it anyway :)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 07:20 PM »
If you want to grow from the seeds of chillis you've bought, dry them first. apparently they germinate better. I had 20 plants on the go last year and I feel winter coming to an end...

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 08:53 PM »
Do you think Seeds from whole chillies that have been frozen would still be viable?

Think I might have a go this year, so what varieties would you recommend for beginners, good crop, and are better suited to curries, oh and not too hot.

Cheers
Martin

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 08:58 PM »
sorry..im a newbie at this but i'm gonna try this year.
bought a packet of cayenne pepper seeds
don't know where to start :(
do you plant the seeds straight into the pot of soil???
do you soak the seeds in wet cotton wool first until they sprout then pot into soil???
Help....... :)
thanks in advance

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 10:22 PM »
I've not tried seeds that have been frozen before, but I can't see why they would not work, they have not been tempered in any way....

Any fresh green finger chillies you buy will work, Jalapenos, Scotch bonnets, red, green, they're all seeds at the end of the day.

I just get a seed tray, layer it with about an inch or so of compost, press it down, lay the seeds in the tray, cover with another inch or so of compost, press it down, water the compost, not too much or the soil gets saturated and can rot the seeds.

Keep them in a warm dry place, preferably in the sunlight. ( A windowsill works well). Kepp out of the frost.

Chilli seeds do take a while to germinate, so don't poke, pull or do anyrthing with them, just leave them be and when you feel the soil is getting dry, give them a drink... this is why you need to start them off on Feb or very early March...

Sooner or later you will see little green shoots sprouting up through the soil. Just keep watering them when they get dry and give them as much sunlight as you can but keep them indoors.

When they are about 2-3 inches tall and thin and scraggly, carefully transfer them to individual pots, then care for them exactly as above..

They should flower around late July/August and produce fruit shortly afterwards :)

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 11:28 PM »
Cheers 976

I'll open some of my frozen ones up to remove some seeds, dry them out for a few days in the airing cupboard, and have a go at planting some.

Sadly I threw away about six chillies worth yesterday. ::)

I was thinking of buying some from here

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Premier-Seeds-Direct/_i.html?_nkw=chilli&submit=Search&_sid=79364908

Good feedback and I've seen them recommended around various sites on the net.
Pretty cheap for the amount of seeds you get too.

But there are so many to choose from, hence me asking what varieties would be recommended. :-\

Martin

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 11:43 PM »
Hi Martin,

What is this myth about drying out seeds in the airing cupboard? Just put them in some paper towel in a bowl and put them on the window ledge.

I don't even bother drying mine out, I just remove them sometimes from the chilli and pop them straight into the compost :)

©2024 Curry Recipes