Author Topic: Chilli growing time!  (Read 68117 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli growing time!
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2012, 07:25 AM »
The best (or worst!) of it is that he'll be able to enjoy the sensation over again when it comes out the other end!  ::)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2012, 10:19 AM »
Worth watching before trying it yourself  :P
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend - New World's Hottest Chilli.

Sheesh!

Now I like my hot chillies, but after watching that I reckon I'll be sticking to my beloved nagas. Key moment in that clip is when he says that, "taste wise, it isn't great".

What's the point of producing something that hot when it tastes crap?

Is the kudos of 'world's hottest' (until next month, anyway) worth it over 'world's best taste'? (Which for me, is the naga.)

Still, I wish all you Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Morouga) warriors out there the very best of luck!

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2012, 04:12 PM »
Only got one plant left now from the original 5x I bought 3 years ago from newspaper ad.  Lost one 1st summer to overwatering auto sprinkler when i was on holiday. Lost 2 more over the next winter - just died off in conservatory. Lost one last winter again in conservatory over winter - it tried to leaf - but kept dying back.  Last one I have had outside for a while - but chillies going black which i put down to too much rain - so it's gone back intot he conservatory.  Looks like plenty of chillis / flowers - and they are reasonably hot.  Best result from my various crops have been achieved by drying in oven at 60?C for @ 5 hours.  3x sprinkled crushed into a curry gives it a good enough kick to be just on the hot side of madras strength - just fine for me

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2012, 08:04 AM »
That guy is an idiot. I once ate a small sliver of Dorset Naga on its own and I swear it was hotter than a Ginsters Cornish Pastie straight from the microwave!

Good news for me though - my first Scorpion fruit has poked it's head through. Will post some pics when it starts to look like a chilli.

Offline timeless

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2012, 09:31 AM »
Got about a dozen plants on the go been terrible this year just dying off with the crap weather some are starting to flower now but this time last year i had loads

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2012, 07:38 PM »
Hi Chilli Growers
I've just been given a Bangladeshi Black Chilli plant and I haven't got a clue!!!
He said It's not doing very well, because of the weather, as it should be producing by now.
It looks a fairly strong plant, but any advice would be much appreciated.

cheers Chewy

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2012, 11:27 PM »
Chewy try to pollinate flowers by dabbing a soft paint brush or cotton bud over every flower, this will help for indoor plants and should still produce fruit this year. atb

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2012, 07:10 AM »
It's a bit difficult to tell from the photos, but the plant looks a bit leggy with some dead blossoms.

I would start by encouraging better bushy growth by pinching out the growing tips and the dead flower heads. That will allow the plant to get more vigour into the right places.

I would also look at the size of the pot and the quality of the compost in the pot. It looks like a good, strong plant so that might not be a problem at all, but it wouldn't do any harm to gently prise the plant from it's pot without disturbing the roots and re-potting it in a larger pot with fresh compost surrounding the old stuff.

Finally, I would ensure that it is watered every day and fed with a weak tomato feed.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2012, 11:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies.Took some better pics.

Not sure if this has been grown inside or outside, my first thoughts were to
plant it out in the garden with the Dahlias, then there's a spare room in this big old house, which
gets all the sun from midday and fades anything near the window very quickly.
So would probably be a good spot.

Naga, Bought some Wilko tomato feed today, the pot is quite large and the compost
is good and looks straight from a bag this year. I'll deadhead it, but my question is should
it be outside or indoors.
Thanks Chewy

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2012, 12:06 PM »
...the pot is quite large and the compost is good and looks straight from a bag this year. I'll deadhead it, but my question is should
it be outside or indoors...

Aye, the pot looks just fine - no need to do anything there lol! :)

As I said, it looks a nice healthy plant but it's certainly a bit leggy, so nipping off the dead buds and pinching out the non-flowering tips at the end of the branches will help bush it out, even at this late stage.

I can't give any useful advice about keeping it indoors or outdoors as you'll know best what kind of weather you're having. All I would say is that chillies need heat, light and water, and as long as you can give the plant plenty of light at this time of year, you might well get something from it.

But even if nothing much happens with it this year, when growth slows down for the winter you'll be able to cut the branches right back to the main stem and overwinter it. It'll be ready to burst into budding growth next year when the weather starts to brighten up.

©2024 Curry Recipes