Author Topic: Chilli growing time!  (Read 67989 times)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli growing time!
« Reply #170 on: September 05, 2013, 06:34 PM »
I haven't gone mad on the chilli growing this year as I'm still working my way through a freezer full of last year's harvest, but thought I'd have a bit of a rave about the amazing air pots I've been using, which really do produce some fantastic results (see: http://www.airpotgarden.com/ for more on how they work).

Pictured below is the biggest jalapeno plant I've ever grown (currently 5' 9" tall), plus some out of focus diablo peppers. The air pots are a bit pricey (though you can get some good deals on the net), but resusable and well worth it for the results. I'll definitely be getting some more for next year.

Offline huwm456

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2013, 08:31 PM »
I have about 2 dozen chilli plants including cayenne, trinidad scorpion and jalapeno and as this is my first year growing I want to overwinter but not sure what I need to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Attached is a photo of some of them trying to grow during our short summer.

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2013, 11:40 PM »
I have about 2 dozen chilli plants including cayenne, trinidad scorpion and jalapeno and as this is my first year growing I want to overwinter but not sure what I need to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Attached is a photo of some of them trying to grow during our short summer.

Hi! We had a 100 per cent success rate with Dorset Nagas and Prairie Fire plants this year, simply bought inside, watered less, cut back, similar to a rose bush to increase growth. The best crop of nagas ever this year! Also the chillies seemed hotter, and they flowered and fruited much earlier, this summers sunshine certainly helped too! On an earlier page in this thread 'Fishy' posted some photos.

I suggest trying to overwinter your chillies, what have you got to lose? :)

Offline huwm456

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Terramamba many thanks. Do I need to take a lot of height of them? My jalapenos are about five feet tall so I was thinking of taking at least half of that and all the side stems off. Hope this is right.

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2013, 07:16 PM »
Wow, five feet! What size pots are they in? Yes about half is what we took off, they did not look pretty over the winter! Good luck :)

Offline huwm456

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2013, 08:14 PM »
They are in 10" pots and watered when really dry and fed once a week. They have stopped growing now. I hope that after cutting well back they will all grow again next year. I guess I need to keep them inside over the winter. That will be annoying for the wife ;D

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2013, 02:20 PM »
Wow, five feet! What size pots are they in? Yes about half is what we took off, they did not look pretty over the winter! Good luck :)

For what it's worth the best results I've ever had with chillies (or anything else, for that matter), is with these pots: http://www.airpotgarden.com/

Currently still cropping from a (now 6ft tall) jalapeno that's in a 20" Airpot.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2014, 08:45 AM »
I've had quite a good year growing chillies
Some of what I thought were simple green chillies, turned red on me
None of this lot were too hot, you could eat in a sandwich

But the ones my lad grew (variety called Filius Blue) may look like M&M's, but are very hot

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2014, 08:47 AM »
these are the other ones

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 31, 2014, 08:57 AM »
My chillis have been very poor, but they were borderline dead when I got back off my hols (toptip-do not leave 20 year step-daughter the complicated task of watering a plant during the hottest 10 days of the year) and needed mouth to mouth to resuscitate them. And earlier on in the year they had an Aphid infestation!!
The only plant to actually produce any fruit worth while so far is the Bishops Crown,  the Habanero, Kashmiri and basket chilli havent really taken off.

©2024 Curry Recipes