Author Topic: Chilli growing time!  (Read 67798 times)

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli growing time!
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Just one thing I'd add Chewy, before you nip off the dead buds, check that they are not actually chillis forming.

Hard to tell from the photo, but that is how the flowers look when a chilli is starting to form. the actual petals brown/die off, and a chilli begins to form underneath.

Oh and if you've got a good spot indoors and out, and it is not too much trouble, why not move it in and out, depending on the weather

Martin.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Thanks for the info guys,  ;) it's already looking better and with a bit TLC
It should be OK, will keep you posted if I get any Chillis.
cheers Chewy

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2012, 05:24 PM »
I just had my first taste of these bad boys - Trinidad Scorpions! I ate a piece about 3mm x 3mm and my tongue was burning for a good 15 minutes. Interestingly they didn't have the pungent taste that the Dorset Naga had so I think these could be used sparingly in cooking without ruining the taste.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2012, 07:17 AM »
Your plants are in fantastic condition - looks like you'll have a cracking harvest! :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2012, 09:04 AM »
Thanks, it's a shame we aren't getting any sun as they aren't really ripening.

I also have about 6 "Curry Chilli" plants and at first I thought they were terrible as they didn't have any heat at all. I left some for an extra couple of weeks then tried them again and wow - what a difference. They are like perfect green chillies. A good heat (something like a birds eye) but still green, not too pungent and a good size. I think I'll be growing them every year from now on.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2012, 05:25 PM »
...I also have about 6 "Curry Chilli" plants and at first I thought they were terrible as they didn't have any heat at all. I left some for an extra couple of weeks then tried them again and wow - what a difference. They are like perfect green chillies...

Just goes to show that, as with anything, patience is the key to success.

Although my harvest is down this year, the chillies themselves look healthy enough and, with the return of the sun over the past couple of days, some of the greens are now slowly changing to yellows and reds.

Happy days! :)

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2012, 06:00 PM »
bad summer...good chillis..from sunny Glasgow :)

Cheers :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2012, 06:08 PM »
Blooming good crop, mr.mojorisin :)

Mine's have taken a second wind as described elsewhere in this section and I'm now looking forward to another decent and unexpected crop in the space of 2 months.

Weather is still weird, though. Just had a monster of a rain storm followed by (currently!) a lovely sunny spell with blue skies!

Just goes to show its true what they say about Scottish weather - wait 20 minutes befoe you decide what you're doing lol!

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2012, 06:49 PM »
thanks Naga.

first time growing from seed.

totally delighted but wish summer was better as there would be more fruit

gonna overwinter a couple of plants so I've got a head start for next year ;)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2012, 01:20 PM »
I think next year I'm going to exclusively grow Birds Eye chillies. They are a nice heat and versatile. Az uses them in his takeaway for green chillies, or you can ripen them for chilli con carne e.t.c.

I just took another 10 or 12 ripe Trinidad Scorpions to Az, along with around 100+ curry chillies. I have another big bag of them in the freezer for personal consumption. The Scorpions are fun to try a sliver of but are pretty useless for cooking with. We might try making a chicken scorpion curry at the takeaway tomorrow to see how it tastes.

©2024 Curry Recipes